RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Early Microcomputer Software... Wow!

  • billdeg@degnanco.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2013
      start with Steven Levy’s Hackers.

      Sent from Windows Mail

      From: DougCrawford
      Sent: ‎January‎ ‎13‎, ‎2013 ‎12‎:‎41‎ ‎AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Re: Early Microcomputer Software... Wow!

      >   Dig back into the history of those days, and prepare to be amazed.  I
      > grab every 1950s and 1960s computer technology book I can find...

      Yes I should!
      Got a few recommendations?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
        On 01/13/2013 12:41 AM, DougCrawford wrote:
        >> Dig back into the history of those days, and prepare to be amazed. I
        >> grab every 1950s and 1960s computer technology book I can find...
        >
        > Yes I should!
        > Got a few recommendations?

        For "the horse's mouth", there's really no way to beat "Collected
        Algorithms from ACM". It's a bit like reading an encyclopedia, and it's
        extremely dense information, but it's great stuff. Basically all the
        algorithms we know and love, in the form in which they were FIRST
        published. The classic sorting algorithms, for example...reading the
        articles their developers wrote to introduce them to the world, along
        with example code (sometimes pseudocode), is very enlightening. That
        set of books is very expensive, but worth ten times the price.

        For the architectural side of things, "Parallel Computing" by Hockney
        and Jesshope is possibly one of the finest books I own. (and, forgive
        me, I own quite a few) It's not about stuff like "clusters of Linux
        boxes"...it's about parallel*ISM* in computing, in the way that an
        eight-bit computer processes eight bits in parallel, or two bytes in
        parallel (typically) when doing sixteen-bit math, etc. There are
        varying degrees of parallelism everywhere, and that book taught me how
        to recognize it. It also includes some case studies and in-depth
        descriptions of some computer architectures. There are very few books
        that I can recommend as highly as this one.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ