Re: Early Microcomputer Software... Wow!

  • DougCrawford
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2013
      > Dig back into the history of those days, and prepare to be amazed. I
      > grab every 1950s and 1960s computer technology book I can find...

      Yes I should!
      Got a few recommendations?
    • billdeg@degnanco.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2013
        start with Steven Levy’s Hackers.

        Sent from Windows Mail

        >   Dig back into the history of those days, and prepare to be amazed.  I
        > grab every 1950s and 1960s computer technology book I can find...

        Yes I should!
        Got a few recommendations?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2013
          On 01/13/2013 12:41 AM, DougCrawford wrote:
          >> Dig back into the history of those days, and prepare to be amazed. I
          >> grab every 1950s and 1960s computer technology book I can find...
          >
          > Yes I should!
          > Got a few recommendations?

          For "the horse's mouth", there's really no way to beat "Collected
          Algorithms from ACM". It's a bit like reading an encyclopedia, and it's
          extremely dense information, but it's great stuff. Basically all the
          algorithms we know and love, in the form in which they were FIRST
          published. The classic sorting algorithms, for example...reading the
          articles their developers wrote to introduce them to the world, along
          with example code (sometimes pseudocode), is very enlightening. That
          set of books is very expensive, but worth ten times the price.

          For the architectural side of things, "Parallel Computing" by Hockney
          and Jesshope is possibly one of the finest books I own. (and, forgive
          me, I own quite a few) It's not about stuff like "clusters of Linux
          boxes"...it's about parallel*ISM* in computing, in the way that an
          eight-bit computer processes eight bits in parallel, or two bytes in
          parallel (typically) when doing sixteen-bit math, etc. There are
          varying degrees of parallelism everywhere, and that book taught me how
          to recognize it. It also includes some case studies and in-depth
          descriptions of some computer architectures. There are very few books
          that I can recommend as highly as this one.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ