Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF-E 9.0 exhibit options

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
      On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 07:26:32PM -0000, mloewen16823 wrote:
      > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
      > this year's VCF-E.

      I've been thinking some about that also. Since Dave McGuire is likely
      bringing the big stuff I would do something different this year. I'll
      go for our family computing history. Have the slide rule, mechanical
      adding machine, books with tables to show parents computing. Then funky hand
      calculator that doesn't do floating point, OSI computer, & TI professional
      PC with IBM compatibility board for my early computing history. 3B1
      for my wifes. Not that our computing is that special but the progression
      is a reasonable show of how it progressed. Sorry, can't bring the
      UNIVAC my mother did some work with.

      Mechanical adding machines are Sears and Underwood Sundstrand 10140. Not
      the most fancy but the Sundstrand can do shift and add multiply.

      If anybody thinks its a bad idea let me know (conflicts with your exhibit?)

      The other options would be card reader with a PDP-8 showing batch programming.
      DEC had mark sense cards where you could do your basic programs with a #2
      pencil on punch cards then run them on THE computer. It could also do
      normal punched cards.

      The last which is risky for completing is an 8/L with third party LINCtape.
      Since I haven't done anything with it yet other than collect some needed
      repair parts who knows how long it will take.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
        On 01/12/2013 12:42 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
        >> I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
        >> this year's VCF-E.
        >>
        > I've been thinking some about that also. Since Dave McGuire is likely
        > bringing the big stuff I would do something different this year.

        Hey, don't let me stop you, it's not a competition...the more big
        iron, the merrier!

        > The other options would be card reader with a PDP-8 showing batch programming.
        > DEC had mark sense cards where you could do your basic programs with a #2
        > pencil on punch cards then run them on THE computer. It could also do
        > normal punched cards.

        Now THIS is a great idea!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein wrote:

          > The last which is risky for completing is an 8/L with third party LINCtape.
          > Since I haven't done anything with it yet other than collect some needed
          > repair parts who knows how long it will take.

          I would not mind seeing the LINCtape, since I have a LINC tape drive without cards. Anything "LINC" is scarce. The 8/L and LINCtape is not on your site apparently, so I don't know if it could be carried with your intended exhibit.

          Herb Johnson