Re: SCELBI PCBs on order

  • hornbetw
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
      If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

      Tom

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

      > awesome,
      >
      > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
      >
      > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
      >
      > www.willegal.net/blog
      >
      > regards,
      > Mike W.
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

      > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
      > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
      > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
      > > about 15 months ago.

      > > on projects, including;

      > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
      > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
      > > >
      > > > Please put me down for a set!
      > > >

      > > Me, too boss!
      > >
      > > Bill Degnan

    • Systems Glitch
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
        > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

        Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

        I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

        Thanks,
        Jonathan