Re: SCELBI PCBs on order

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
      awesome,

      I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold

      Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.

      www.willegal.net/blog

      regards,
      Mike W.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

      > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
      > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
      > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
      > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
      > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
      > about 15 months ago.
      > > >
      > > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
      > on projects, including;
      > > >
      > > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
      > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
      > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
      > > > 2) cassette interface
      > > > 3) TTY interface
      > > > 4) oscilloscope interface
      > > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
      > > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
      > >
      > > Please put me down for a set!
      > >

      > Me, too boss!
      >
      > Bill Degnan

    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
        Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.

        John

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

        > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
        > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
        > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
        > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
        > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
        > about 15 months ago.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
          the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's. American Microsemiconductor has almost 5000 1101 SRAMs and are asking under $4 each. The rest of the TTL stuff is basic 74xx - which are available from unicorn electronics and other sources.

          regards,
          Mike W.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

          > Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.
          >
          > John
          >

          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

          > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
          > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
          > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
          > > about 15 months ago.

        • hornbetw
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
            If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

            Tom

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

            > awesome,
            >
            > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
            >
            > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
            >
            > www.willegal.net/blog
            >
            > regards,
            > Mike W.
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

            > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
            > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
            > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
            > > about 15 months ago.

            > > on projects, including;

            > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
            > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
            > > >
            > > > Please put me down for a set!
            > > >

            > > Me, too boss!
            > >
            > > Bill Degnan

          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
              > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

              Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

              I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

              Thanks,
              Jonathan