Re: [midatlanticretro] SCELBI PCBs on order

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013

      > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
      > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
      PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
      There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
      but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
      about 15 months ago.

      > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
      on projects, including;

      > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
      the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
      and not modified off the shelf chassis.
      > > 2) cassette interface
      > > 3) TTY interface
      > > 4) oscilloscope interface
      > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
      > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
      >
      > Please put me down for a set!

      Me, too boss!

      Bill Degnan
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
        awesome,

        I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold

        Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.

        www.willegal.net/blog

        regards,
        Mike W.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

        > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
        > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
        > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
        > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
        > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
        > about 15 months ago.
        > > >
        > > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
        > on projects, including;
        > > >
        > > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
        > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
        > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
        > > > 2) cassette interface
        > > > 3) TTY interface
        > > > 4) oscilloscope interface
        > > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
        > > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
        > >
        > > Please put me down for a set!
        > >

        > Me, too boss!
        >
        > Bill Degnan

      • John
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
          Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.

          John

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

          > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
          > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
          > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
          > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
          > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
          > about 15 months ago.
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
            the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's. American Microsemiconductor has almost 5000 1101 SRAMs and are asking under $4 each. The rest of the TTL stuff is basic 74xx - which are available from unicorn electronics and other sources.

            regards,
            Mike W.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

            > Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.
            >
            > John
            >

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

            > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
            > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
            > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
            > > about 15 months ago.

          • hornbetw
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
              If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

              Tom

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

              > awesome,
              >
              > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
              >
              > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
              >
              > www.willegal.net/blog
              >
              > regards,
              > Mike W.
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

              > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
              > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
              > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
              > > about 15 months ago.

              > > on projects, including;

              > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
              > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
              > > >
              > > > Please put me down for a set!
              > > >

              > > Me, too boss!
              > >
              > > Bill Degnan

            • Systems Glitch
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
                > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

                Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

                I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

                Thanks,
                Jonathan