Re: [midatlanticretro] SCELBI PCBs on order

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
      On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
      > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.
      >
      > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on projects, including;
      >
      > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications and not modified off the shelf chassis.
      > 2) cassette interface
      > 3) TTY interface
      > 4) oscilloscope interface
      > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
      > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies

      Please put me down for a set!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013

        > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
        > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
        PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
        There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
        but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
        about 15 months ago.

        > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
        on projects, including;

        > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
        the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
        and not modified off the shelf chassis.
        > > 2) cassette interface
        > > 3) TTY interface
        > > 4) oscilloscope interface
        > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
        > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
        >
        > Please put me down for a set!

        Me, too boss!

        Bill Degnan
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
          awesome,

          I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold

          Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.

          www.willegal.net/blog

          regards,
          Mike W.

          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

          > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
          > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
          > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
          > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
          > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
          > about 15 months ago.
          > > >
          > > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
          > on projects, including;
          > > >
          > > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
          > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
          > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
          > > > 2) cassette interface
          > > > 3) TTY interface
          > > > 4) oscilloscope interface
          > > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
          > > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
          > >
          > > Please put me down for a set!
          > >

          > Me, too boss!
          >
          > Bill Degnan

        • John
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
            Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.

            John

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

            > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
            > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
            > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
            > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
            > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
            > about 15 months ago.
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
              the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's. American Microsemiconductor has almost 5000 1101 SRAMs and are asking under $4 each. The rest of the TTL stuff is basic 74xx - which are available from unicorn electronics and other sources.

              regards,
              Mike W.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

              > Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.
              >
              > John
              >

              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

              > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
              > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
              > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
              > > about 15 months ago.

            • hornbetw
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

                Tom

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

                > awesome,
                >
                > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
                >
                > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
                >
                > www.willegal.net/blog
                >
                > regards,
                > Mike W.
                >
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                > > about 15 months ago.

                > > on projects, including;

                > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
                > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
                > > >
                > > > Please put me down for a set!
                > > >

                > > Me, too boss!
                > >
                > > Bill Degnan

              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
                  > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

                  Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

                  I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan