Re: SCELBI PCBs on order

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

      > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.

      Put me down for 1 set. Sounds like a project I'd like to do.
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
        On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
        > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.
        >
        > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on projects, including;
        >
        > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications and not modified off the shelf chassis.
        > 2) cassette interface
        > 3) TTY interface
        > 4) oscilloscope interface
        > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
        > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies

        Please put me down for a set!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013

          > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
          > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
          PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
          There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
          but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
          about 15 months ago.

          > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
          on projects, including;

          > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
          the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
          and not modified off the shelf chassis.
          > > 2) cassette interface
          > > 3) TTY interface
          > > 4) oscilloscope interface
          > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
          > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
          >
          > Please put me down for a set!

          Me, too boss!

          Bill Degnan
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
            awesome,

            I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold

            Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.

            www.willegal.net/blog

            regards,
            Mike W.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

            > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
            > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
            > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
            > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
            > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
            > about 15 months ago.
            > > >
            > > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
            > on projects, including;
            > > >
            > > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
            > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
            > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
            > > > 2) cassette interface
            > > > 3) TTY interface
            > > > 4) oscilloscope interface
            > > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
            > > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
            > >
            > > Please put me down for a set!
            > >

            > Me, too boss!
            >
            > Bill Degnan

          • John
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
              Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.

              John

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

              > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
              > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
              > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
              > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
              > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
              > about 15 months ago.
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's. American Microsemiconductor has almost 5000 1101 SRAMs and are asking under $4 each. The rest of the TTL stuff is basic 74xx - which are available from unicorn electronics and other sources.

                regards,
                Mike W.

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

                > Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.
                >
                > John
                >

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                > > about 15 months ago.

              • hornbetw
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                  If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

                  Tom

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

                  > awesome,
                  >
                  > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
                  >
                  > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
                  >
                  > www.willegal.net/blog
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Mike W.
                  >
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                  > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                  > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                  > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                  > > about 15 months ago.

                  > > on projects, including;

                  > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
                  > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
                  > > >
                  > > > Please put me down for a set!
                  > > >

                  > > Me, too boss!
                  > >
                  > > Bill Degnan

                • Systems Glitch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
                    > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

                    Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

                    I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan