re: [midatlanticretro] SCELBI PCBs on order

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
      Sounds great. I can't wait to see one.

      -------- Original Message --------

      PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
      There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
      but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
      about 15 months ago.

      > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on
      projects, including;

      > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
      the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
      and not modified off the shelf chassis.
      > 2) cassette interface
      > 3) TTY interface
      > 4) oscilloscope interface
      > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
      > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
      >
      > regards,
      > Mike Willegal

    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

        > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.

        Put me down for 1 set. Sounds like a project I'd like to do.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
          On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
          > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.
          >
          > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on projects, including;
          >
          > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications and not modified off the shelf chassis.
          > 2) cassette interface
          > 3) TTY interface
          > 4) oscilloscope interface
          > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
          > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies

          Please put me down for a set!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013

            > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
            > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
            PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
            There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
            but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
            about 15 months ago.

            > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
            on projects, including;

            > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
            the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
            and not modified off the shelf chassis.
            > > 2) cassette interface
            > > 3) TTY interface
            > > 4) oscilloscope interface
            > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
            > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
            >
            > Please put me down for a set!

            Me, too boss!

            Bill Degnan
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
              awesome,

              I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold

              Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.

              www.willegal.net/blog

              regards,
              Mike W.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

              > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
              > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
              > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
              > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
              > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
              > about 15 months ago.
              > > >
              > > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
              > on projects, including;
              > > >
              > > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
              > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
              > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
              > > > 2) cassette interface
              > > > 3) TTY interface
              > > > 4) oscilloscope interface
              > > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
              > > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
              > >
              > > Please put me down for a set!
              > >

              > Me, too boss!
              >
              > Bill Degnan

            • John
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.

                John

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
                > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
                > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                > about 15 months ago.
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                  the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's. American Microsemiconductor has almost 5000 1101 SRAMs and are asking under $4 each. The rest of the TTL stuff is basic 74xx - which are available from unicorn electronics and other sources.

                  regards,
                  Mike W.

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

                  > Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.
                  >
                  > John
                  >

                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                  > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                  > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                  > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                  > > about 15 months ago.

                • hornbetw
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                    If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

                    Tom

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

                    > awesome,
                    >
                    > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
                    >
                    > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
                    >
                    > www.willegal.net/blog
                    >
                    > regards,
                    > Mike W.
                    >
                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                    > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                    > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                    > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                    > > about 15 months ago.

                    > > on projects, including;

                    > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
                    > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
                    > > >
                    > > > Please put me down for a set!
                    > > >

                    > > Me, too boss!
                    > >
                    > > Bill Degnan

                  • Systems Glitch
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
                      > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

                      Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

                      I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

                      Thanks,
                      Jonathan