SCELBI PCBs on order

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
      I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.

      Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on projects, including;

      1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications and not modified off the shelf chassis.
      2) cassette interface
      3) TTY interface
      4) oscilloscope interface
      5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
      6) 2 varieties of power supplies

      regards,
      Mike Willegal
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
        Sounds great. I can't wait to see one.

        > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
        PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
        There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
        but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
        about 15 months ago.

        > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on
        projects, including;

        > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
        the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
        and not modified off the shelf chassis.
        > 2) cassette interface
        > 3) TTY interface
        > 4) oscilloscope interface
        > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
        > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
        >
        > regards,
        > Mike Willegal

      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

          > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.

          Put me down for 1 set. Sounds like a project I'd like to do.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
            On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
            > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs. There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational, but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest about 15 months ago.
            >
            > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow on projects, including;
            >
            > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications and not modified off the shelf chassis.
            > 2) cassette interface
            > 3) TTY interface
            > 4) oscilloscope interface
            > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
            > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies

            Please put me down for a set!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013

              > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
              > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
              PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
              There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
              but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
              about 15 months ago.

              > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
              on projects, including;

              > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
              the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
              and not modified off the shelf chassis.
              > > 2) cassette interface
              > > 3) TTY interface
              > > 4) oscilloscope interface
              > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
              > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
              >
              > Please put me down for a set!

              Me, too boss!

              Bill Degnan
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                awesome,

                I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold

                Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.

                www.willegal.net/blog

                regards,
                Mike W.

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
                > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
                > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                > about 15 months ago.
                > > >
                > > > Once the basic 8H is working there is untold opportunities for follow
                > on projects, including;
                > > >
                > > > 1) reproduction chassis - although it looks bare bones, I'm pretty sure
                > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
                > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
                > > > 2) cassette interface
                > > > 3) TTY interface
                > > > 4) oscilloscope interface
                > > > 5) SCELBI 8B (4 additional/different PCBs required)
                > > > 6) 2 varieties of power supplies
                > >
                > > Please put me down for a set!
                > >

                > Me, too boss!
                >
                > Bill Degnan

              • John
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                  Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.

                  John

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                  > > On 01/11/2013 09:06 AM, Mike wrote:
                  > > > I excited to announce that I've ordered a batch of reproduction SCELBI
                  > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                  > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                  > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                  > about 15 months ago.
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                    the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's. American Microsemiconductor has almost 5000 1101 SRAMs and are asking under $4 each. The rest of the TTL stuff is basic 74xx - which are available from unicorn electronics and other sources.

                    regards,
                    Mike W.

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John" wrote:

                    > Aren't some of the components near unobtainium ? BTW, I have a set of Mark-8 boars here waiting for the opportune moment to begin that project.
                    >
                    > John
                    >

                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                    > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                    > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                    > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                    > > about 15 months ago.

                  • hornbetw
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 11, 2013
                      If MARCH needs volunteers to help build their set, I can help out.

                      Tom

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

                      > awesome,
                      >
                      > I should have boards in about 2 weeks - still have to find many of the parts, but I think I have the hard ones (8008 and 1101) - most of the rest is pretty conventional 74xx series. The original units used a zener in a funky package for over voltage protection, witch I doubt can be found very easily, but there are modern equivalents. watch my blog as details unfold
                      >
                      > Also I've promised Evan that MARCH will get a set of bare boards for free. It will be up to MARCH to find the parts and build it up into a museum piece.
                      >
                      > www.willegal.net/blog
                      >
                      > regards,
                      > Mike W.
                      >
                      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                      > > PCBs. This will enable building of a batch of reproduction SCELBI 8Hs.
                      > > There is still a lot of work to do before a basic system is operational,
                      > > but this is a major milestone in an effort that was started in earnest
                      > > about 15 months ago.

                      > > on projects, including;

                      > > the original production chassis were custom built to SCELBI specifications
                      > > and not modified off the shelf chassis.
                      > > >
                      > > > Please put me down for a set!
                      > > >

                      > > Me, too boss!
                      > >
                      > > Bill Degnan

                    • Systems Glitch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 13, 2013
                        > the 8008 is most expensive, but not really that hard to find - I think the prices people are getting on ebay are way to high as Intel made them into the 80's.

                        Agreed. When I went looking for 8008s, I found that you can pick them up for less than $20 apiece, especially if you're willing to take the AS-IS gamble. I picked up three for testing and found all three to be functional. Two were "desirable" gold-top purple ceramic packages from Intel, went for $16 for the pair.

                        I'll see if I still have the link, but someone sent me one to a surplus electronics place that was selling "remarked" 8008s (in-house numbered) guaranteed to be working 8008s for a good price.

                        Thanks,
                        Jonathan