OT: Steam power

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
      > > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
      > > steam powered generator.
      >
      > Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
      > but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

      A treadmill for a steam locomotive will cost more than a power transformer. Perhaps someone can find an old steam tractor?

      > Check vintage-ads for the clear advantages of
      > clean burning ANTHRICITE coal!

      *vintage* ads rule.

      > Even then, a cluster of new low-power microcontrollers
      > will beat big-iron for MIPS-per-watt :-/
      >
      > *shudders* at the thought of a heap-o-Arduinos
      > powered by 9v batteries.

      LoL, perhaps the group will accept a bunch of COSMAC 1802 Membership cards being ran from batteries?

      PS. The only draw back to steam power is that there will need to be a fireman to keep shoveling the coal. I guess that's what the "new guy" is for? Consider it an initiation rite of passage.
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
        > > > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
        > > > steam powered generator.
        > >
        > > Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
        > > but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.
        >
        > A treadmill for a steam locomotive will cost more than a power transformer. Perhaps someone can find an old steam tractor?

        stationary steam engines with power take offs (PTO) have been around since long before the American Civil War - too bad there isn't a steam group at info age :-)

        Mike W.