re: [midatlanticretro] NCR chips?

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
      I have three.

      MOS integrated circuits 7/76
      linear integrated circuits 1973
      TTL Databook 1976

      Most National chips start with LM or DM (AH, AM, MM, ... etc)

      Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that start
      with "NCR". What else is on the chips?
      Bill

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
        > Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that start
        > with "NCR". What else is on the chips?

        NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
        Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.

        --
        Will
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
          > > Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that
          start
          > > with "NCR". What else is on the chips?
          >
          > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
          > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.

          Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh me.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
            > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
            > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
            > the NCR chips:
            > NCR 6-51146
            > NCR 6-51055
            > NCR 6-51056
            > NCR 6-51057
            >
            > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
            > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
            > no real specs.
            > >
            > > > Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that
            > start
            > > > with "NCR". What else is on the chips?
            > >
            > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
            > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
            > >

            > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
            me.

            > Bill

            Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
            am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
            Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
            bd
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
              My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

              http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

              based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

              Regards,
              MIke Willegal

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

              > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
              > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
              > > the NCR chips:
              > > NCR 6-51146
              > > NCR 6-51055
              > > NCR 6-51056
              > > NCR 6-51057
              > >
              > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
              > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
              > > no real specs.

              > > start
              > > >
              > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
              > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
              > > >

              > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
              > me.
              > >
              > > Bill
              > >

              > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
              > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
              > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
              > bd

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

                http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

                Regards,
                MIke Willegal

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                > > the NCR chips:
                > > NCR 6-51146
                > > NCR 6-51055
                > > NCR 6-51056
                > > NCR 6-51057
                > >
                > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                > > no real specs.

                > > start
                > > >
                > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
                > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
                > > >

                > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                > me.
                > >
                > > Bill
                > >

                > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                > bd

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                  My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

                  http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                  based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

                  Regards,
                  MIke Willegal

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                  > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                  > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                  > > the NCR chips:
                  > > NCR 6-51146
                  > > NCR 6-51055
                  > > NCR 6-51056
                  > > NCR 6-51057
                  > >
                  > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                  > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                  > > no real specs.

                  > > start
                  > > >
                  > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
                  > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
                  > > >

                  > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                  > me.
                  > >
                  > > Bill
                  > >

                  > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                  > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                  > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                  > bd

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                    Take a look at this book and see if you can find something similar.
                    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                    I'm guessing that they are either custom chips or (best case) in house designs that were later productized, in which case you should be able to find a close match in the manual.

                    I'm thinking that the leading 6 is package type, as it matches the type 6 package in the manual.

                    Regards,
                    Mike Willegal

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

                    > Does anyone have NCR chip databooks?
                    >
                    > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                    > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                    > the NCR chips:
                    > NCR 6-51146
                    > NCR 6-51055
                    > NCR 6-51056
                    > NCR 6-51057
                    >
                    > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                    > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                    > no real specs.
                    >
                    > thanks!
                    > -- jeffj

                  • mwillega
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                      my reply to this thread keeps getting dropped, so if three copies suddenly show up, you will know why

                      I'm guessing that these are custom/in-house NCR chips. Best case might be that NCR later productized them. Maybe you can find something like them in this NCR data book.

                      http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                      the 6- appears to be package type as it matches the 24 pin DIP package at the end of this book described as type "6".

                      regards,
                      Mike W.
                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
                        sorry about all these posts and yes, I realized after trying to post a bunch of times, that NCR is not the same as National Semiconductor - I wish the posts had gone into internet oblivion

                        Regards,
                        Mike W.

                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

                        > My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.
                        >
                        > http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf
                        >
                        > based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > MIke Willegal
                        >

                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                        > > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                        > > > the NCR chips:
                        > > > NCR 6-51146
                        > > > NCR 6-51055
                        > > > NCR 6-51056
                        > > > NCR 6-51057
                        > > >
                        > > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                        > > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                        > > > no real specs.

                        > > > start

                        > > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                        > > me.
                        > > >
                        > > > Bill
                        > > >

                        > > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                        > > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                        > > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                        > > bd

                      • Jeff Jonas
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:
                          > ... I realized after trying to post a bunch of times, that NCR is not the same as National Semiconductor - I wish the posts had gone into internet oblivion

                          No regrets! I have some lovely vintage Natinoal Semi chips that were in that catalogue with full spec sheets, not the abbreviated ones usually found on the Internet spam/// search sites for "datasheet".