Re: VCF-E 9.0 exhibit options

  • jack99rubin
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
      I'd like to see that tape drive spinning. I think I still have pieces for one of the hinges for the cabinet.

      Jack

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "mloewen16823" wrote:

      > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for this year's VCF-E. I had initially been talking to Dave McGuire and some others about bringing a VAX 4000/300 and participating in a VAX cluster, but I'm considering other options. For instance, I've had at least two people request that I bring my HP mini again. While I dislike the idea of rehashing an exhibit, the HP 2109E system is now more fully configured, with a second 264x terminal and a 9-track tape drive and cabinet. Maybe I can get the 8" floppy drives working.
      >
      > The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very familiar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and VCF to get up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is done. Yes, I realize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be present to assist, but I like to feel useful, too. :-)
      >
      > Of course, there are always the Kaypros, TRS-80s, Morrow and NorthStar systems yet to be exhibited. I like to be different, though.
      >
      > So, what do you think?
      >
      > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
        On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 07:26:32PM -0000, mloewen16823 wrote:
        > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
        > this year's VCF-E.

        I've been thinking some about that also. Since Dave McGuire is likely
        bringing the big stuff I would do something different this year. I'll
        go for our family computing history. Have the slide rule, mechanical
        adding machine, books with tables to show parents computing. Then funky hand
        calculator that doesn't do floating point, OSI computer, & TI professional
        PC with IBM compatibility board for my early computing history. 3B1
        for my wifes. Not that our computing is that special but the progression
        is a reasonable show of how it progressed. Sorry, can't bring the
        UNIVAC my mother did some work with.

        Mechanical adding machines are Sears and Underwood Sundstrand 10140. Not
        the most fancy but the Sundstrand can do shift and add multiply.

        If anybody thinks its a bad idea let me know (conflicts with your exhibit?)

        The other options would be card reader with a PDP-8 showing batch programming.
        DEC had mark sense cards where you could do your basic programs with a #2
        pencil on punch cards then run them on THE computer. It could also do
        normal punched cards.

        The last which is risky for completing is an 8/L with third party LINCtape.
        Since I haven't done anything with it yet other than collect some needed
        repair parts who knows how long it will take.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
          On 01/12/2013 12:42 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
          >> I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
          >> this year's VCF-E.
          >>
          > I've been thinking some about that also. Since Dave McGuire is likely
          > bringing the big stuff I would do something different this year.

          Hey, don't let me stop you, it's not a competition...the more big
          iron, the merrier!

          > The other options would be card reader with a PDP-8 showing batch programming.
          > DEC had mark sense cards where you could do your basic programs with a #2
          > pencil on punch cards then run them on THE computer. It could also do
          > normal punched cards.

          Now THIS is a great idea!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein wrote:

            > The last which is risky for completing is an 8/L with third party LINCtape.
            > Since I haven't done anything with it yet other than collect some needed
            > repair parts who knows how long it will take.

            I would not mind seeing the LINCtape, since I have a LINC tape drive without cards. Anything "LINC" is scarce. The 8/L and LINCtape is not on your site apparently, so I don't know if it could be carried with your intended exhibit.

            Herb Johnson