Re: InfoAge power update

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
      > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
      > steam powered generator.

      We'll have to collaborate with Dan Lieb for that:
      the shipwreck museum collabortes with the
      Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
      but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

      > How many MIPs can you get from 1 cord of wood?

      Ack! The smoke and ash and soot!
      Check vintage-ads for the clear advantages of
      clean burning ANTHRICITE coal!
      I'm unusure if we can get samples from the
      Anthricite Museum in PA.

      Even then, a cluster of new low-power microcontrollers
      will beat big-iron for MIPS-per-watt :-/

      *shudders* at the thought of a heap-o-Arduinos
      powered by 9v batteries.
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
        > > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
        > > steam powered generator.
        >
        > We'll have to collaborate with Dan Lieb for that:
        > the shipwreck museum collaborates with the
        > Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
        > but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

        Actually, there's a number of steam and old-engine organizations in say a 100 mile radius of Infoage, which would include west PA and NY state north of NJ. Some have their own grounds, acres with resident equipment and facilities, and with members who have their own equipment. Most of these guys have kilowatt-class stuff, but some have tens of KW or more.

        It's not unimaginable for InfoAge to host such a group which would include some kind of vintage power generation - if InfoAge decided it fit within their mission and Camp Evan history. I imagine the WWI Camp Evan generated its own power.

        Entirely my opinion of course, I'm not an InfoAge or MARCH officer. But I've spent time visiting such organizations and attending their shows. Technology is technology, I'm a technologist.

        Web sites like smokstak.com have event calendars. Anyone interested can see what's coming up and attend accordingly, they are inexpensive. Upcoming is a show Jan 19th in Bangor PA (north of Easton) on the 19th. Long Island in particular has a lot of old power generation stuff and groups that operate and own it.

        Herb Johnson