NCR chips?

  • Jeff Jonas
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
      Does anyone have NCR chip databooks?

      1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
      http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
      the NCR chips:
      NCR 6-51146
      NCR 6-51055
      NCR 6-51056
      NCR 6-51057

      2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
      Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
      no real specs.

      thanks!
      -- jeffj
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
        I have three.

        MOS integrated circuits 7/76
        linear integrated circuits 1973
        TTL Databook 1976

        Most National chips start with LM or DM (AH, AM, MM, ... etc)

        Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that start
        with "NCR". What else is on the chips?
        Bill

        > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
        > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
        > the NCR chips:
        > NCR 6-51146
        > NCR 6-51055
        > NCR 6-51056
        > NCR 6-51057
        >
        > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
        > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
        > no real specs.
        >
        > thanks!
        > -- jeffj

      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
          > Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that start
          > with "NCR". What else is on the chips?

          NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
          Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
            > > Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that
            start
            > > with "NCR". What else is on the chips?
            >
            > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
            > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.

            Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh me.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
              > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
              > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
              > the NCR chips:
              > NCR 6-51146
              > NCR 6-51055
              > NCR 6-51056
              > NCR 6-51057
              >
              > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
              > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
              > no real specs.
              > >
              > > > Not one chip in the three databooks (mid 70's) has any chips that
              > start
              > > > with "NCR". What else is on the chips?
              > >
              > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
              > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
              > >

              > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
              me.

              > Bill

              Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
              am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
              Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
              bd
            • Mike
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

                http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

                Regards,
                MIke Willegal

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                > > the NCR chips:
                > > NCR 6-51146
                > > NCR 6-51055
                > > NCR 6-51056
                > > NCR 6-51057
                > >
                > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                > > no real specs.

                > > start
                > > >
                > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
                > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
                > > >

                > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                > me.
                > >
                > > Bill
                > >

                > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                > bd

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                  My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

                  http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                  based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

                  Regards,
                  MIke Willegal

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                  > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                  > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                  > > the NCR chips:
                  > > NCR 6-51146
                  > > NCR 6-51055
                  > > NCR 6-51056
                  > > NCR 6-51057
                  > >
                  > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                  > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                  > > no real specs.

                  > > start
                  > > >
                  > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
                  > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
                  > > >

                  > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                  > me.
                  > >
                  > > Bill
                  > >

                  > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                  > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                  > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                  > bd

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                    My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.

                    http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                    based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator

                    Regards,
                    MIke Willegal

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

                    > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                    > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                    > > the NCR chips:
                    > > NCR 6-51146
                    > > NCR 6-51055
                    > > NCR 6-51056
                    > > NCR 6-51057
                    > >
                    > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                    > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                    > > no real specs.

                    > > start
                    > > >
                    > > > NCR is National Cash Register. The purple chips look very mid-1970s
                    > > > Motorola. They probably made them for NCR.
                    > > >

                    > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                    > me.
                    > >
                    > > Bill
                    > >

                    > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                    > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                    > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                    > bd

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                      Take a look at this book and see if you can find something similar.
                      http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                      I'm guessing that they are either custom chips or (best case) in house designs that were later productized, in which case you should be able to find a close match in the manual.

                      I'm thinking that the leading 6 is package type, as it matches the type 6 package in the manual.

                      Regards,
                      Mike Willegal

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

                      > Does anyone have NCR chip databooks?
                      >
                      > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                      > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                      > the NCR chips:
                      > NCR 6-51146
                      > NCR 6-51055
                      > NCR 6-51056
                      > NCR 6-51057
                      >
                      > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                      > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                      > no real specs.
                      >
                      > thanks!
                      > -- jeffj

                    • mwillega
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 11, 2013
                        my reply to this thread keeps getting dropped, so if three copies suddenly show up, you will know why

                        I'm guessing that these are custom/in-house NCR chips. Best case might be that NCR later productized them. Maybe you can find something like them in this NCR data book.

                        http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf

                        the 6- appears to be package type as it matches the 24 pin DIP package at the end of this book described as type "6".

                        regards,
                        Mike W.
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
                          sorry about all these posts and yes, I realized after trying to post a bunch of times, that NCR is not the same as National Semiconductor - I wish the posts had gone into internet oblivion

                          Regards,
                          Mike W.

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:

                          > My guess is that they are custom chips or at best, in house designs that were later productized. You might find them or something very similar in this 1977 NCR data book.
                          >
                          > http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/national/_dataBooks/1977_MOS_LSI_databook.pdf
                          >
                          > based on what I can find in the book, 6 is probably the package type indicator
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > MIke Willegal
                          >

                          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > 1) I have a NCR panel with fluorescent displays
                          > > > http://ferretronix.com/tech/vfd/
                          > > > the NCR chips:
                          > > > NCR 6-51146
                          > > > NCR 6-51055
                          > > > NCR 6-51056
                          > > > NCR 6-51057
                          > > >
                          > > > 2) 34c227 is a 48 pin DIP. Some sort of microcontroller.
                          > > > Of course, Google only finds the parts-pimps,
                          > > > no real specs.

                          > > > start

                          > > > Whoa I totally missed that one. I will check the Motorola books. Duh
                          > > me.
                          > > >
                          > > > Bill
                          > > >

                          > > Replying to myself. I could not find anything in the Motorola books, but I
                          > > am guessing now that these are equivalent part numbers, not original
                          > > Motorola part numbers. Sorry I can't help.
                          > > bd

                        • Jeff Jonas
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" wrote:
                            > ... I realized after trying to post a bunch of times, that NCR is not the same as National Semiconductor - I wish the posts had gone into internet oblivion

                            No regrets! I have some lovely vintage Natinoal Semi chips that were in that catalogue with full spec sheets, not the abbreviated ones usually found on the Internet spam/// search sites for "datasheet".