RE: [midatlanticretro] VCF-E 9.0 exhibit options

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
      "mloewen16823" <mloewen@...> writes:

      > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
      >th= is year's VCF-E. I had initially been talking to Dave McGuire and
      >some oth= ers about bringing a VAX 4000/300 and participating in a VAX
      >cluster, but I= 'm considering other options. For instance, I've had at
      >least two people r= equest that I bring my HP mini again. While I
      >dislike the idea of rehashin= g an exhibit, the HP 2109E system is now
      >more fully configured, with a seco= nd 264x terminal and a 9-track tape
      >drive and cabinet. Maybe I can get the= 8" floppy drives working.
      >
      > The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very
      >famil= iar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and
      >VCF to get= up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is
      >done. Yes, I real= ize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be
      >present to assist, but I like= to feel useful, too. :-)
      >
      > Of course, there are always the Kaypros, TRS-80s, Morrow and
      >NorthStar s= ystems yet to be exhibited. I like to be different,
      >though.
      >
      > So, what do you think?

      Bring both! :)

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
        On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

        > "mloewen16823" <mloewen@...> writes:

        >> The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very
        >> famil= iar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and
        >> VCF to get= up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is
        >> done. Yes, I real= ize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be
        >> present to assist, but I like= to feel useful, too. :-)

        >> So, what do you think?
        >
        > Bring both! :)

        Available transportation is limitied to a single minicomputer.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
          > So, what do you think?

          If you are going to bring a DEC machine, better make it a HiNote.

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
            On 01/10/2013 02:37 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
            >>> The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very
            >>> famil= iar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and
            >>> VCF to get= up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is
            >>> done. Yes, I real= ize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be
            >>> present to assist, but I like= to feel useful, too. :-)

            >>> So, what do you think?
            >>
            >> Bring both! :)
            >
            > Available transportation is limitied to a single minicomputer.

            Then I'll bring an additional VAX, similar to yours, and set it up in
            your exhibit area. That way, you can have the best of both worlds and
            won't miss out on any of the fun. I'll be in a truck anyway. What do
            you think?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
              On 01/10/2013 02:26 PM, mloewen16823 wrote:
              > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
              > this year's VCF-E. I had initially been talking to Dave McGuire and
              > some others about bringing a VAX 4000/300 and participating in a VAX
              > cluster, but I'm considering other options. For instance, I've had
              > at least two people request that I bring my HP mini again. While I
              > dislike the idea of rehashing an exhibit, the HP 2109E system is now
              > more fully configured, with a second 264x terminal and a 9-track tape
              > drive and cabinet. Maybe I can get the 8" floppy drives working.
              >
              > The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very
              > familiar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and
              > VCF to get up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is
              > done. Yes, I realize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be
              > present to assist, but I like to feel useful, too. :-)
              >
              > Of course, there are always the Kaypros, TRS-80s, Morrow and
              > NorthStar systems yet to be exhibited. I like to be different,
              > though.
              >
              > So, what do you think?

              I'd welcome the 2109E, and wouldn't consider it a rehash due to its
              recent expansion. Multiple terminals and the 9-track drive make it a
              VERY different system, exhibit-wise, and I think showing the evolution
              of the system as you build it up is also good.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> writes:

                >--EpKxBtrGaGRPawJBIri7ZJlrZfsdq9aiSpPWGdq Content-Type: text/plain;
                >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                >
                >> So, what do you think?
                >
                >If you are going to bring a DEC machine, better make it a HiNote.

                Why??? I have a d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP with the complete docking station
                (VP765) if you would like to see one. It is, of course, running Linux! ;)

              • jack99rubin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                  I'd like to see that tape drive spinning. I think I still have pieces for one of the hinges for the cabinet.

                  Jack

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "mloewen16823" wrote:

                  > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for this year's VCF-E. I had initially been talking to Dave McGuire and some others about bringing a VAX 4000/300 and participating in a VAX cluster, but I'm considering other options. For instance, I've had at least two people request that I bring my HP mini again. While I dislike the idea of rehashing an exhibit, the HP 2109E system is now more fully configured, with a second 264x terminal and a 9-track tape drive and cabinet. Maybe I can get the 8" floppy drives working.
                  >
                  > The real reason I'm leaning away from the VAX is that I'm not very familiar with it, and I'm not sure I have enough time between now and VCF to get up to speed. At least with the HP, most of the work is done. Yes, I realize the amount of DEC brainpower that will be present to assist, but I like to feel useful, too. :-)
                  >
                  > Of course, there are always the Kaypros, TRS-80s, Morrow and NorthStar systems yet to be exhibited. I like to be different, though.
                  >
                  > So, what do you think?
                  >
                  > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
                    On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 07:26:32PM -0000, mloewen16823 wrote:
                    > I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
                    > this year's VCF-E.

                    I've been thinking some about that also. Since Dave McGuire is likely
                    bringing the big stuff I would do something different this year. I'll
                    go for our family computing history. Have the slide rule, mechanical
                    adding machine, books with tables to show parents computing. Then funky hand
                    calculator that doesn't do floating point, OSI computer, & TI professional
                    PC with IBM compatibility board for my early computing history. 3B1
                    for my wifes. Not that our computing is that special but the progression
                    is a reasonable show of how it progressed. Sorry, can't bring the
                    UNIVAC my mother did some work with.

                    Mechanical adding machines are Sears and Underwood Sundstrand 10140. Not
                    the most fancy but the Sundstrand can do shift and add multiply.

                    If anybody thinks its a bad idea let me know (conflicts with your exhibit?)

                    The other options would be card reader with a PDP-8 showing batch programming.
                    DEC had mark sense cards where you could do your basic programs with a #2
                    pencil on punch cards then run them on THE computer. It could also do
                    normal punched cards.

                    The last which is risky for completing is an 8/L with third party LINCtape.
                    Since I haven't done anything with it yet other than collect some needed
                    repair parts who knows how long it will take.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2013
                      On 01/12/2013 12:42 PM, David Gesswein wrote:
                      >> I'm soliciting opinions from the group about my choice of exhibit for
                      >> this year's VCF-E.
                      >>
                      > I've been thinking some about that also. Since Dave McGuire is likely
                      > bringing the big stuff I would do something different this year.

                      Hey, don't let me stop you, it's not a competition...the more big
                      iron, the merrier!

                      > The other options would be card reader with a PDP-8 showing batch programming.
                      > DEC had mark sense cards where you could do your basic programs with a #2
                      > pencil on punch cards then run them on THE computer. It could also do
                      > normal punched cards.

                      Now THIS is a great idea!

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein wrote:

                        > The last which is risky for completing is an 8/L with third party LINCtape.
                        > Since I haven't done anything with it yet other than collect some needed
                        > repair parts who knows how long it will take.

                        I would not mind seeing the LINCtape, since I have a LINC tape drive without cards. Anything "LINC" is scarce. The 8/L and LINCtape is not on your site apparently, so I don't know if it could be carried with your intended exhibit.

                        Herb Johnson