Re: [midatlanticretro] InfoAge power update

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
      >> Make sure they actually *get* this information.

      He's working with professional power engineers, FEMA, and JCP&L. He doesn't need me to point out the obvious.
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
        > He's working with professional power engineers, FEMA, and JCP&L. He
        > doesn't need me to point out the obvious.

        OK, thanks.

        --
        Will
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
          William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> writes:

          >> He's working with professional power engineers, FEMA, and JCP&L. He >
          >doesn't need me to point out the obvious.
          >
          >OK, thanks.

          FWIW, the transformer outside my home which blew up during Sandy has not
          yet been replaced as well as others in the area. I think we are all run-
          ning on borrowed time.

        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
            I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice steam powered generator.

            How many MIPs can you get from 1 cord of wood?

            :) J
          • Jeff Jonas
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
              > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
              > steam powered generator.

              We'll have to collaborate with Dan Lieb for that:
              the shipwreck museum collabortes with the
              Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
              but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

              > How many MIPs can you get from 1 cord of wood?

              Ack! The smoke and ash and soot!
              Check vintage-ads for the clear advantages of
              clean burning ANTHRICITE coal!
              I'm unusure if we can get samples from the
              Anthricite Museum in PA.

              Even then, a cluster of new low-power microcontrollers
              will beat big-iron for MIPS-per-watt :-/

              *shudders* at the thought of a heap-o-Arduinos
              powered by 9v batteries.
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
                > > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
                > > steam powered generator.
                >
                > We'll have to collaborate with Dan Lieb for that:
                > the shipwreck museum collaborates with the
                > Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
                > but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

                Actually, there's a number of steam and old-engine organizations in say a 100 mile radius of Infoage, which would include west PA and NY state north of NJ. Some have their own grounds, acres with resident equipment and facilities, and with members who have their own equipment. Most of these guys have kilowatt-class stuff, but some have tens of KW or more.

                It's not unimaginable for InfoAge to host such a group which would include some kind of vintage power generation - if InfoAge decided it fit within their mission and Camp Evan history. I imagine the WWI Camp Evan generated its own power.

                Entirely my opinion of course, I'm not an InfoAge or MARCH officer. But I've spent time visiting such organizations and attending their shows. Technology is technology, I'm a technologist.

                Web sites like smokstak.com have event calendars. Anyone interested can see what's coming up and attend accordingly, they are inexpensive. Upcoming is a show Jan 19th in Bangor PA (north of Easton) on the 19th. Long Island in particular has a lot of old power generation stuff and groups that operate and own it.

                Herb Johnson