Re: [midatlanticretro] InfoAge power update

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 9, 2013
      On 01/10/2013 12:53 AM, evan@... wrote:
      > So that is all that I know. There is no timeline. Some people are
      > expressing confidence that it'll be solved and back to normal within
      > a few weeks or maybe a month or two. Others are more pessimistic, or
      > realistic, depending on who's asked. :) Nobody truly knows.

      Wow. I cannot even quantify the suckage. :-(

      > Oh, that reminds me of another thing. A suggestion was made that
      > while InfoAge is changing transformers anyhow, it might as well
      > invest in switches (I forget the technical term for what kind of
      > switches) which would allow easy conversion to generators during any
      > future power outages. Everyone liked that idea.

      These are called "transfer switches". They are expensive.

      My generator is still available here, should you want more wattage.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
        > So that is all that I know. There is no timeline. Some people are
        > expressing confidence that it'll be solved and back to normal within a few
        > weeks or maybe a month or two. Others are more pessimistic, or realistic,
        > depending on who's asked. :) Nobody truly knows.

        I would err on the pessimistic side, and plan on moving VCFeast
        further into the year (just keep in mind other major events, like MIT
        Flea, the Sussex hamfest, various other big days).

        It may take a long time to get a new transformer. I was just at a
        storage place in Changebridge, next to a utility storage yard - and
        the place has been raped of every transformer and gizmo, and is now a
        big parking lot. I bet this is a common site all over the Northeast,
        probably well into the Midwest. I would also bet that the companies
        that make transformers are completely slammed with backorders. A small
        museum probably does not have the pull that a power-sucking warehouse
        or factory has, and they may make Infoage wait. Keep in ming that
        transformers will continue to fail over the next year or so, as the
        ones weakened by the storm give up.

        You may want to call up some of the transformer companies and ask what
        a realistic leadtime might be for the product Infoage needs.

        --
        Will
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
          >> I would err on the pessimistic side

          I know you would. :)

          >> and plan on moving VCFeast further into the year

          That is an option we're considering, among others; please stay tuned...

          >> It may take a long time to get a new transformer.

          Fred & co. are on that.
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
            > >> It may take a long time to get a new transformer.
            >
            > Fred & co. are on that.

            Make sure they actually *get* this information.

            --
            Will
          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
              >> Make sure they actually *get* this information.

              He's working with professional power engineers, FEMA, and JCP&L. He doesn't need me to point out the obvious.
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                > He's working with professional power engineers, FEMA, and JCP&L. He
                > doesn't need me to point out the obvious.

                OK, thanks.

                --
                Will
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                  William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> writes:

                  >> He's working with professional power engineers, FEMA, and JCP&L. He >
                  >doesn't need me to point out the obvious.
                  >
                  >OK, thanks.

                  FWIW, the transformer outside my home which blew up during Sandy has not
                  yet been replaced as well as others in the area. I think we are all run-
                  ning on borrowed time.

                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                    I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice steam powered generator.

                    How many MIPs can you get from 1 cord of wood?

                    :) J
                  • Jeff Jonas
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 10, 2013
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
                      > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
                      > steam powered generator.

                      We'll have to collaborate with Dan Lieb for that:
                      the shipwreck museum collabortes with the
                      Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
                      but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

                      > How many MIPs can you get from 1 cord of wood?

                      Ack! The smoke and ash and soot!
                      Check vintage-ads for the clear advantages of
                      clean burning ANTHRICITE coal!
                      I'm unusure if we can get samples from the
                      Anthricite Museum in PA.

                      Even then, a cluster of new low-power microcontrollers
                      will beat big-iron for MIPS-per-watt :-/

                      *shudders* at the thought of a heap-o-Arduinos
                      powered by 9v batteries.
                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 13, 2013
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" wrote:

                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, joshbensadon wrote:
                        > > I think the Vintage Computer Museum needs a nice
                        > > steam powered generator.
                        >
                        > We'll have to collaborate with Dan Lieb for that:
                        > the shipwreck museum collaborates with the
                        > Pine Creek Railroad, so a steam locomotive is POSSIBLE
                        > but we'd have to put it on a treadmill to generate electricity.

                        Actually, there's a number of steam and old-engine organizations in say a 100 mile radius of Infoage, which would include west PA and NY state north of NJ. Some have their own grounds, acres with resident equipment and facilities, and with members who have their own equipment. Most of these guys have kilowatt-class stuff, but some have tens of KW or more.

                        It's not unimaginable for InfoAge to host such a group which would include some kind of vintage power generation - if InfoAge decided it fit within their mission and Camp Evan history. I imagine the WWI Camp Evan generated its own power.

                        Entirely my opinion of course, I'm not an InfoAge or MARCH officer. But I've spent time visiting such organizations and attending their shows. Technology is technology, I'm a technologist.

                        Web sites like smokstak.com have event calendars. Anyone interested can see what's coming up and attend accordingly, they are inexpensive. Upcoming is a show Jan 19th in Bangor PA (north of Easton) on the 19th. Long Island in particular has a lot of old power generation stuff and groups that operate and own it.

                        Herb Johnson