Re: Altair 8800 Web Emulator

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
      I think it will be fine with the time. I contacted Vince Briel and he's going to help us make the micro work with the teletype.

      I think this will be fun. We could have a sign up sheet for people to toggle in the boot loader every 1/2 hour. Will give them real appreciation of "instant on".

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

      > Work from a copy of the abs loader and orig BASIC. It will take 30 minutes to load, so as I have said below, this is not a quick demo.
      >

      > Sent from Windows Mail

    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
        On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 01:25:07AM -0000, corey986 wrote:
        > I think it will be fine with the time. I contacted Vince Briel and
        > he's going to help us make the micro work with the teletype.

        Does it care about the keyboard parity? I'm pretty sure I sent an email
        with what it is but so far I can't find it. If it does I'll search harder.

        > but not risk
        > any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed
        > and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

        The mounting the tape on the reader is fiddly and I'm not sure how strong
        the plastic cover is so may be better for a MARCH member for that. I would
        think letting them type on the keyboard is fine.

        It will be interesting to see how this goes. Long demos don't work well
        during the normal show hours so its hard to really convey what usage
        of these machines was really like.
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
          >> I would think letting them type on the keyboard is fine.

          Yes. We already do that.

          A few times, when people were experienced or just very interested, I demo'd writing/reading to paper tape (just a little).

          But it's been a while, and I forget how to do it!