re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Altair 8800 Web Emulator

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
      The teletype in the museum was converted to rs232. I don't know if it was
      also upgraded to a baud faster than 110 8/n/2. It should be possible to
      punch a tape of BASIC from the web to the modified machine's punch, and
      then load basic directly from the tape. You'd need an absolute loader in
      ROM or on tape as well. You could use a switch box to hop over to a glass
      terminal after the tape loads.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
        On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:04:47AM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:

        > In PDP 8 OS/8 using a glass vt102 terminal with a backspace key, under
        > standard configuration, use of backspace will generate an error even if
        > your command looks correct before you hit enter

        Right, you have to use the rubout/delete key to correct a mistyped
        character. It will either do a backspace overwrite or print \ around
        the deleted character based on the tty driver configuration/set command.
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
          On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:34:05AM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:
          > The teletype in the museum was converted to rs232. I don't know if it was
          > also upgraded to a baud faster than 110 8/n/2. It should be possible to
          > punch a tape of BASIC from the web to the modified machine's punch, and
          > then load basic directly from the tape. You'd need an absolute loader in
          > ROM or on tape as well. You could use a switch box to hop over to a glass
          > terminal after the tape loads.

          Its still 110. It was reported that the punch was jamming so if someone
          wants to use is for a demo we should check it out at the next work day.
          I think its only being used as a static exhibit right now.
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
            Can we set it to 8,n,1 or it is fixed at two stop bits. No big deal, we can simply put something inbetween to "echo" the data between the two removing the stop bit and maybe changing the rate from 110. I have to investigate changing the briel from 9600 to 110 baud. The idea would be to get people to enjoy the fun of toggling in the boot loader and then watching basic load.

            I think we are on to something that would be fun for the public, but not risk any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

            Let's really think about this and maybe make it a group project for VCF.

            Cheers,
            Corey

          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
              >> but not risk any real "vintage" stuff"

              I mostly agree. Definitely not letting anyone use our original copy of Altair 4K Basic. :)
            • who88777
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                Some of the embedded FPGA work I've done really taught the value of this. Whenever possible I prefer to use the on chip block ram and not go external for cost reasons. Every time I would forget to use the minimal printf() routine I'd run out of space for just code - let alone RAM as it linked in half the C standard library.

                I've toyed with the idea of making a few Retro-On-A-Chip computers but I think the Briel model is a better way to go for recreating the old machines. BGA parts have no place in a retro machine.

              • billdeg@degnanco.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                  Work from a copy of the abs loader and orig BASIC.  It will take 30 minutes to load, so as I have said below, this is not a quick demo.

                  Sent from Windows Mail

                  Can we set it to 8,n,1 or it is fixed at two stop bits.  No big deal, we can simply put something inbetween to "echo" the data between the two removing the stop bit and maybe changing the rate from 110.  I have to investigate changing the briel from 9600 to 110 baud.  The idea would be to get people to enjoy the fun of toggling in the boot loader and then watching basic load.

                  I think we are on to something that would be fun for the public, but not risk any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

                  Let's really think about this and maybe make it a group project for VCF.

                  Cheers,
                  Corey

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein  wrote:

                  > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:34:05AM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:
                  > > The teletype in the museum was converted to rs232.  I don't know if it was
                  > > also upgraded to a baud faster than 110 8/n/2.  It should be possible to
                  > > punch a tape of BASIC from the web to the modified machine's punch, and
                  > > then load basic directly from the tape.  You'd need an absolute loader in
                  > > ROM or on tape as well.  You could use a switch box to hop over to a glass
                  > > terminal after the tape loads.
                  > >
                  > Its still 110. It was reported that the punch was jamming so if someone
                  > wants to use is for a demo we should check it out at the next work day.
                  > I think its only being used as a static exhibit right now.

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                    I think it will be fine with the time. I contacted Vince Briel and he's going to help us make the micro work with the teletype.

                    I think this will be fun. We could have a sign up sheet for people to toggle in the boot loader every 1/2 hour. Will give them real appreciation of "instant on".

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                      On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 01:25:07AM -0000, corey986 wrote:
                      > I think it will be fine with the time. I contacted Vince Briel and
                      > he's going to help us make the micro work with the teletype.

                      Does it care about the keyboard parity? I'm pretty sure I sent an email
                      with what it is but so far I can't find it. If it does I'll search harder.

                      > but not risk
                      > any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed
                      > and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

                      The mounting the tape on the reader is fiddly and I'm not sure how strong
                      the plastic cover is so may be better for a MARCH member for that. I would
                      think letting them type on the keyboard is fine.

                      It will be interesting to see how this goes. Long demos don't work well
                      during the normal show hours so its hard to really convey what usage
                      of these machines was really like.
                    • evan@snarc.net
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                        >> I would think letting them type on the keyboard is fine.

                        Yes. We already do that.

                        A few times, when people were experienced or just very interested, I demo'd writing/reading to paper tape (just a little).

                        But it's been a while, and I forget how to do it!