Re: Altair 8800 Web Emulator

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
      I 100% agree. Having to "flip" switches or even type in the ocal/hex by hand has made me a better programmer. This actually came up at dinner last night (I'm at training in Texas right now) where we were talking about the "old" days and how people who lived through toggling in a boot loader on a PDP8 seemed to be more efficient in their resource utilization as programmers than the guys who started programming with Visual Basic who tend to be sloppy in memory and resource usage. It was a pretty heated converstation enhanced by wine and Fogo de Chao "Meat" high....

      Cheers,
      Corey
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

> [...]
      > > code with control-h.
      > > (Rubout third row third from right)
      > > http://www.pdp8online.com/asr33/pics/kbd_top.shtml?large
      > >
      > > THe printing _ is because of teletypes. A teletype can't back up other
      > than
      > > a carrage return. Even if it did you wouldn't be able to reliably read
      > > the new character printed on top of the old so they printed the
      > underscore
      > > for each character "backed up". On the PDP-8 you use the delete key and
      > > it prints the _ when configured for teletype.
      > >

      > In PDP 8 OS/8 using a glass vt102 terminal with a backspace key, under
      > standard configuration, use of backspace will generate an error even if
      > your command looks correct before you hit enter
      >
      > If you type this..
      > .RUN RKA0;
      >
      > ..and then use the backspace key to correct (change semi-colon to
      > colon)...
      > .RUN RKA0:BASIC.SV [enter]
      >
      > ...OS/8 will return an OS syntax error.
      >
      > My original point - you can find a way to add backspace ability, but it
      > was not really an option back then so you have to decide whether it matters
      > to you or not to bypass the historic limitation of the time.
      >
      > I believe that there is value to experience what it was really like to work
      > in this environment without modern shortcuts. If to engineer a new program
      > you are required to toggle bootstraps, load a tape, enter code by hand,
      > punch the tape on the teletype, and so on you'll start to change your
      > approach to programming. The first thing you realize is that it's best to
      > try to write and debug as much of the code by hand before you enter into
      > the computer. That's why a lot of Altair docs I have come upon have sheets
      > and sheets of pseudo code and hand-written listings along with the manuals.
      > People did not use the computer to write and edit code like they do today,
      > too time consuming. You had to be more precise in your data entry and more
      > organized in your approach. No one would want to sit there for a half hour
      > to punch a tape, then another half hour to run the tape just to find a
      > single syntax error crashes the whole program. That's why there were a lot
      > less people doing programming and hardware back then, this kind of work was
      > not for everyone. It gives you a real appreciation for those people
      > (before my time btw) who did all of this stuff when it was new back then,
      > and what motivated the likes of Woz/Jobs to make something easier to use.
      >
      > Not everyone has the luxury of walking up to a computer with a teletype. I
      > think it would be a great service if we had an exhibit / demo for MARCH's
      > museum to show people what it was like to use a teletype for I/O and
      > program storage. I would not recommend allowing the public to use it
      > though, it'd have to be a ready-to-go demo for someone that had an hour to
      > witness the entire process, maybe with a little lecture to kill time

    • corey986
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hey Bill...

        I have an idea for VCF... I was thinking of bringing my Briel Altair to sit next to my real one. It's been modified to have an external serial emulating the SIO-A. If we build a current loop to RS232 adapter for the teletype, we could let people toggle in a boot loader on the Briel. I have like 100 spare switches so I'm not concerned about the public using the briel unlike the real one where original orange case round switches are expensive and hard to find, and the silk screen needs to be protected from wear and scratches for historical reasons.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, corey986 wrote:

> [...]
        > > to punch a tape, then another half hour to run the tape just to find a
        > > single syntax error crashes the whole program. That's why there were a lot
        > > less people doing programming and hardware back then, this kind of work was
        > > not for everyone. It gives you a real appreciation for those people
        > > (before my time btw) who did all of this stuff when it was new back then,
        > > and what motivated the likes of Woz/Jobs to make something easier to use.
        > >
        > > Not everyone has the luxury of walking up to a computer with a teletype. I
        > > think it would be a great service if we had an exhibit / demo for MARCH's
        > > museum to show people what it was like to use a teletype for I/O and
        > > program storage. I would not recommend allowing the public to use it
        > > though, it'd have to be a ready-to-go demo for someone that had an hour to
        > > witness the entire process, maybe with a little lecture to kill time

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
          On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, corey986 wrote:

          > I 100% agree. Having to "flip" switches or even type in the ocal/hex by
          > hand has made me a better programmer. This actually came up at dinner
          > last night (I'm at training in Texas right now) where we were talking
          > about the "old" days and how people who lived through toggling in a boot
          > loader on a PDP8 seemed to be more efficient in their resource
          > utilization as programmers than the guys who started programming with
          > Visual Basic who tend to be sloppy in memory and resource usage.

          It actually extends forward a bit to the micro era. If you were
          constrained to less than 64KB of RAM for your code (not considering
          overlay techniques), you had to be very careful of your resource
          management. In a Turbo Pascal program I wrote in the mid-'80s on a TRS-80
          Model 4 running Montezuma Micro CP/M, I managed to fit an in-memory
          indexing scheme such that I could retrieve any record from the database
          stored on floppy in less than 2 seconds.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Neil Cherry
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
            On 01/08/2013 09:54 AM, corey986 wrote:

            > I 100% agree. Having to "flip" switches or even type in the ocal/hex by hand has made me a
            > better programmer. This actually came up at dinner last night (I'm at training in Texas
            > right now) where we were talking about the "old" days and how people who lived through
            > toggling in a boot loader on a PDP8 seemed to be more efficient in their resource
            > utilization as programmers than the guys who started programming with Visual Basic who
            > tend to be sloppy in memory and resource usage. It was a pretty heated converstation
            > enhanced by wine and Fogo de Chao "Meat" high....

            This holds true of any restricted env such as a uC with limited resources.

            Of course when you've been around long enough and use larger computer resources
            you start to think about other limited resources such as time. As an Engineer
            (EE, System Engineer, etc.) you have to look at the overall picture .

            But I do agree that folks who have had to live with tight limits tend to
            be better overall Engineers.

            http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
            http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
              The teletype in the museum was converted to rs232. I don't know if it was
              also upgraded to a baud faster than 110 8/n/2. It should be possible to
              punch a tape of BASIC from the web to the modified machine's punch, and
              then load basic directly from the tape. You'd need an absolute loader in
              ROM or on tape as well. You could use a switch box to hop over to a glass
              terminal after the tape loads.

> [...]

              work was
              > > > not for everyone. It gives you a real appreciation for those people

              > > > (before my time btw) who did all of this stuff when it was new back
              then,
              > > > and what motivated the likes of Woz/Jobs to make something easier to
              use.

              > > > Not everyone has the luxury of walking up to a computer with a
              teletype. I
              > > > think it would be a great service if we had an exhibit / demo for
              MARCH's
              > > > museum to show people what it was like to use a teletype for I/O and

              > > > program storage. I would not recommend allowing the public to use it

              > > > though, it'd have to be a ready-to-go demo for someone that had an
              hour to
              > > > witness the entire process, maybe with a little lecture to kill time

            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 09:04:47AM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:

                > In PDP 8 OS/8 using a glass vt102 terminal with a backspace key, under
                > standard configuration, use of backspace will generate an error even if
                > your command looks correct before you hit enter

                Right, you have to use the rubout/delete key to correct a mistyped
                character. It will either do a backspace overwrite or print \ around
                the deleted character based on the tty driver configuration/set command.
              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                  On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:34:05AM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:
                  > The teletype in the museum was converted to rs232. I don't know if it was
                  > also upgraded to a baud faster than 110 8/n/2. It should be possible to
                  > punch a tape of BASIC from the web to the modified machine's punch, and
                  > then load basic directly from the tape. You'd need an absolute loader in
                  > ROM or on tape as well. You could use a switch box to hop over to a glass
                  > terminal after the tape loads.

                  Its still 110. It was reported that the punch was jamming so if someone
                  wants to use is for a demo we should check it out at the next work day.
                  I think its only being used as a static exhibit right now.
                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                    Can we set it to 8,n,1 or it is fixed at two stop bits. No big deal, we can simply put something inbetween to "echo" the data between the two removing the stop bit and maybe changing the rate from 110. I have to investigate changing the briel from 9600 to 110 baud. The idea would be to get people to enjoy the fun of toggling in the boot loader and then watching basic load.

                    I think we are on to something that would be fun for the public, but not risk any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

                    Let's really think about this and maybe make it a group project for VCF.

                    Cheers,
                    Corey

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                      >> but not risk any real "vintage" stuff"

                      I mostly agree. Definitely not letting anyone use our original copy of Altair 4K Basic. :)
                    • who88777
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                        Some of the embedded FPGA work I've done really taught the value of this. Whenever possible I prefer to use the on chip block ram and not go external for cost reasons. Every time I would forget to use the minimal printf() routine I'd run out of space for just code - let alone RAM as it linked in half the C standard library.

                        I've toyed with the idea of making a few Retro-On-A-Chip computers but I think the Briel model is a better way to go for recreating the old machines. BGA parts have no place in a retro machine.

                      • billdeg@degnanco.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                          Work from a copy of the abs loader and orig BASIC.  It will take 30 minutes to load, so as I have said below, this is not a quick demo.

                          Sent from Windows Mail

                          Can we set it to 8,n,1 or it is fixed at two stop bits.  No big deal, we can simply put something inbetween to "echo" the data between the two removing the stop bit and maybe changing the rate from 110.  I have to investigate changing the briel from 9600 to 110 baud.  The idea would be to get people to enjoy the fun of toggling in the boot loader and then watching basic load.

                          I think we are on to something that would be fun for the public, but not risk any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

                          Let's really think about this and maybe make it a group project for VCF.

                          Cheers,
                          Corey

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein  wrote:

                          > On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 11:34:05AM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:
                          > > The teletype in the museum was converted to rs232.  I don't know if it was
                          > > also upgraded to a baud faster than 110 8/n/2.  It should be possible to
                          > > punch a tape of BASIC from the web to the modified machine's punch, and
                          > > then load basic directly from the tape.  You'd need an absolute loader in
                          > > ROM or on tape as well.  You could use a switch box to hop over to a glass
                          > > terminal after the tape loads.
                          > >
                          > Its still 110. It was reported that the punch was jamming so if someone
                          > wants to use is for a demo we should check it out at the next work day.
                          > I think its only being used as a static exhibit right now.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • corey986
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                            I think it will be fine with the time. I contacted Vince Briel and he's going to help us make the micro work with the teletype.

                            I think this will be fun. We could have a sign up sheet for people to toggle in the boot loader every 1/2 hour. Will give them real appreciation of "instant on".

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                              On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 01:25:07AM -0000, corey986 wrote:
                              > I think it will be fine with the time. I contacted Vince Briel and
                              > he's going to help us make the micro work with the teletype.

                              Does it care about the keyboard parity? I'm pretty sure I sent an email
                              with what it is but so far I can't find it. If it does I'll search harder.

                              > but not risk
                              > any real "vintage" stuff" since we would need a MARCH member to actually feed
                              > and run the teletype (the real vintage deal).

                              The mounting the tape on the reader is fiddly and I'm not sure how strong
                              the plastic cover is so may be better for a MARCH member for that. I would
                              think letting them type on the keyboard is fine.

                              It will be interesting to see how this goes. Long demos don't work well
                              during the normal show hours so its hard to really convey what usage
                              of these machines was really like.
                            • evan@snarc.net
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 8, 2013
                                >> I would think letting them type on the keyboard is fine.

                                Yes. We already do that.

                                A few times, when people were experienced or just very interested, I demo'd writing/reading to paper tape (just a little).

                                But it's been a while, and I forget how to do it!