Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

      Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

        >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
        >
        > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

        Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          evan@...

          You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

            Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
              >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
              >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
              >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
              >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
              >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
              >>
              >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
              >
              > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

              Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                >
                > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                > boiler burner).
                >
                > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ