Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
      > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

      I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
      transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

      --
      Will
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

        Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

          >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
          >
          > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

          Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            evan@...

            You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

              Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                >>
                >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                >
                > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                  > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                  > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                  > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                  > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                  > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                  > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                  >
                  > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                  > boiler burner).
                  >
                  > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                  > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                  That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                  if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ