Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      evan@... writes:

      >> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a
      >>brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during
      >>the Sandy aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm
      >>only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically
      >>it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have
      >>it on loan until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable
      >>of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).
      >
      >Wonderful! That is much easier.

      Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
        > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

        I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
        transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

        --
        Will
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

          Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

            >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
            >
            > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

            Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              evan@...

              You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

                Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                  >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                  >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                  >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                  >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                  >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                  >>
                  >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                  >
                  > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                  Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                    On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                    > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                    > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                    > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                    > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                    > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                    > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                    >
                    > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                    > boiler burner).
                    >
                    > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                    > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                    That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                    if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ