Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      >>> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
      aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
      until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).

      Wonderful! That is much easier.

      PA crew + Brian, you all still get brownie points for stepping up. :)

      Jason, let's coordinate off-list.
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        evan@... writes:

        >> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a
        >>brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during
        >>the Sandy aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm
        >>only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically
        >>it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have
        >>it on loan until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable
        >>of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).
        >
        >Wonderful! That is much easier.

        Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
          > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

          I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
          transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

          --
          Will
        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

            Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

              >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
              >
              > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

              Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                evan@...

                You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

                  Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                    On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                    >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                    >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                    >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                    >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                    >>
                    >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                    >
                    > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                    Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                      On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                      > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                      > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                      > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                      > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                      > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                      > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                      >
                      > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                      > boiler burner).
                      >
                      > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                      > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                      That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                      if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ