Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      >On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
      >originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
      >little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
      >family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
      >it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
      >
      > I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)

      But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

      >> I have a towable > trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit
      >is anywhere as heavy > as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift
      >into an SUV and it would > be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.
      >
      > I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm bad at guessing such things,
      >but two people can lift this generator pretty easily. I would not
      >consider that an obstacle. Nor would I consider the additional fuel
      >expense of towing a trailer to be worth avoiding the effort of just
      >hefting it into the back. (IMO)

      It's a small flat trailer that I use to tote my Guinness kit and extra
      cans to and from concert festivals. Even loaded with kegerator and two
      or three full cans, I see little degradation in my gas mileage. I used
      to lease a 15 seat van each year to go to a festival in Gettysburg and
      remove the back seat for the Guinness kit. It was cheaper to purchase
      the trailer in the long run and the gas savings is an additional bennie.
      But, suit yourselves. If somebody wishes to drive to A-town and put it
      into their vehicle, have at it. I'll save my gas for both Guinness and
      the festivals. ;)

    • Jason Howe
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
        3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
        aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
        or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
        easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
        until power is restored at InfoAge.

        It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
        boiler burner).

        It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
        back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

        --Jason

      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          >>> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
          aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
          until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).

          Wonderful! That is much easier.

          PA crew + Brian, you all still get brownie points for stepping up. :)

          Jason, let's coordinate off-list.
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            evan@... writes:

            >> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a
            >>brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during
            >>the Sandy aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm
            >>only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically
            >>it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have
            >>it on loan until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable
            >>of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).
            >
            >Wonderful! That is much easier.

            Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
              > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

              I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
              transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

              --
              Will
            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

                Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

                  >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
                  >
                  > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

                  Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                    evan@...

                    You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                      >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

                      Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                        On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                        >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                        >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                        >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                        >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                        >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                        >>
                        >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                        >
                        > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                        Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                          On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                          > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                          > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                          > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                          > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                          > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                          > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                          >
                          > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                          > boiler burner).
                          >
                          > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                          > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                          That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                          if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ