Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      On 01/04/2013 02:13 PM, evan@... wrote:
      >>> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area
      >>> (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and
      >>> still have family
      > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up
      > as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a
      > towable trailer on which carry the generator.
      >
      > Excellent!
      >
      > Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us
      > get this generator from the other side of your state.
      >
      > This is a golden opportunity for MARCH to get a bunch of warehouse
      > work done without the short-term pressure of staffing our museum or
      > VCF breathing down our neck.

      As a bonus, it was just thoroughly serviced and given a clean bill of
      health a few weeks ago, by someone I trust. (I had let it sit too long
      with bad gas in it..)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        >On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
        >originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
        >little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
        >family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
        >it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
        >
        > I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)

        But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

        >> I have a towable > trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit
        >is anywhere as heavy > as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift
        >into an SUV and it would > be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.
        >
        > I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm bad at guessing such things,
        >but two people can lift this generator pretty easily. I would not
        >consider that an obstacle. Nor would I consider the additional fuel
        >expense of towing a trailer to be worth avoiding the effort of just
        >hefting it into the back. (IMO)

        It's a small flat trailer that I use to tote my Guinness kit and extra
        cans to and from concert festivals. Even loaded with kegerator and two
        or three full cans, I see little degradation in my gas mileage. I used
        to lease a 15 seat van each year to go to a festival in Gettysburg and
        remove the back seat for the Guinness kit. It was cheaper to purchase
        the trailer in the long run and the gas savings is an additional bennie.
        But, suit yourselves. If somebody wishes to drive to A-town and put it
        into their vehicle, have at it. I'll save my gas for both Guinness and
        the festivals. ;)

      • Jason Howe
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
          3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
          aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
          or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
          easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
          until power is restored at InfoAge.

          It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
          boiler burner).

          It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
          back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

          --Jason

        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            >>> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
            aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
            until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).

            Wonderful! That is much easier.

            PA crew + Brian, you all still get brownie points for stepping up. :)

            Jason, let's coordinate off-list.
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              evan@... writes:

              >> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a
              >>brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during
              >>the Sandy aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm
              >>only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically
              >>it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have
              >>it on loan until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable
              >>of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).
              >
              >Wonderful! That is much easier.

              Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
                > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

                I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
                transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

                --
                Will
              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

                  Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                    On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

                    >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
                    >
                    > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

                    Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                      evan@...

                      You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

                    • evan@snarc.net
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                        >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

                        Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                          On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                          >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                          >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                          >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                          >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                          >>
                          >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                          >
                          > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                          Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                            On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                            > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                            > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                            > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                            > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                            > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                            > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                            >
                            > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                            > boiler burner).
                            >
                            > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                            > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                            That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                            if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ