Re: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        On 01/04/2013 12:44 PM, evan@... wrote:
        > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on
        > all of that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is
        > big-time shit.

        Holy crap!!

        --
        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          Talked with Fred just now. He said it's fine if MARCH wants to bring in our own generator for lighting our warehouse on workdays. He said we have to promise to use common sense about that. I told him we'd try but it is sparse. :)

          Dave M.: are you saying we can use yours on long-term loan if we can get it here?

          I suggest a chain gang. Someone get it from Pittsburgh to the neat nearest place. Then someone else get it toward Mike L. in the Penn State area. Then someone else ... Etc. ... Until it's near enough for me to get it to InfoAge. I can take Alise's SUV out to the Allentown/Bethlehem area.

          Seeing as it could be weeks/months before we have regular power, I'd hate to let the issue of transit stop us from making good use of all those free Sundays.

          Brian S. -- thanks for your offer too, but we're looking for something that we can borrow for a while.
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            On 01/04/2013 01:53 PM, evan@... wrote:
            > Talked with Fred just now. He said it's fine if MARCH wants to bring
            > in our own generator for lighting our warehouse on workdays. He said
            > we have to promise to use common sense about that. I told him we'd
            > try but it is sparse. :)

            ;)

            > Dave M.: are you saying we can use yours on long-term loan if we can
            > get it here?

            Yes. I no longer have a vehicle that can carry it.

            > I suggest a chain gang. Someone get it from Pittsburgh to the neat
            > nearest place. Then someone else get it toward Mike L. in the Penn
            > State area. Then someone else ... Etc. ... Until it's near enough for
            > me to get it to InfoAge. I can take Alise's SUV out to the
            > Allentown/Bethlehem area.
            >
            > Seeing as it could be weeks/months before we have regular power, I'd
            > hate to let the issue of transit stop us from making good use of all
            > those free Sundays.

            Sounds good to me.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              >On 01/04/2013 01:53 PM, evan@... wrote:
              >> Talked with Fred just now. He said it's fine if MARCH wants to bring
              >> in our own generator for lighting our warehouse on workdays. He said
              >> we have to promise to use common sense about that. I told him we'd
              >> try but it is sparse. :)
              >
              > ;)
              >
              >> Dave M.: are you saying we can use yours on long-term loan if we can
              >> get it here?
              >
              > Yes. I no longer have a vehicle that can carry it.
              >
              >> I suggest a chain gang. Someone get it from Pittsburgh to the neat
              >> nearest place. Then someone else get it toward Mike L. in the Penn
              >> State area. Then someone else ... Etc. ... Until it's near enough for
              >> me to get it to InfoAge. I can take Alise's SUV out to the
              >> Allentown/Bethlehem area.
              >>
              >> Seeing as it could be weeks/months before we have regular power, I'd
              >> hate to let the issue of transit stop us from making good use of all
              >> those free Sundays.
              >
              > Sounds good to me.

              I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny
              little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
              there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as
              an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a towable
              trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit is anywhere as heavy
              as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift into an SUV and it would
              be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.

            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                >> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a towable trailer on which carry the generator.

                Excellent!

                Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us get this generator from the other side of your state.

                This is a golden opportunity for MARCH to get a bunch of warehouse work done without the short-term pressure of staffing our museum or VCF breathing down our neck.
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

                  >>> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                  > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a towable trailer on which carry the generator.
                  >
                  > Excellent!
                  >
                  > Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us get this generator from the other side of your state.

                  The roomiest transportation I have is only a Chevy HHR. Will Dave's
                  generator fit? Barry Kline, do you have a larger vehicle?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                    On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                    > I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny
                    > little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                    > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as
                    > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.

                    I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)

                    > I have a towable
                    > trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit is anywhere as heavy
                    > as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift into an SUV and it would
                    > be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.

                    I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm bad at guessing such things,
                    but two people can lift this generator pretty easily. I would not
                    consider that an obstacle. Nor would I consider the additional fuel
                    expense of towing a trailer to be worth avoiding the effort of just
                    hefting it into the back. (IMO)

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                      On 01/04/2013 02:38 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                      >> there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it
                      >> up as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have
                      >> a towable trailer on which carry the generator.
                      >>
                      >> Excellent!
                      >>
                      >> Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us
                      >> get this generator from the other side of your state.
                      >
                      > The roomiest transportation I have is only a Chevy HHR. Will Dave's
                      > generator fit? Barry Kline, do you have a larger vehicle?

                      I'm sure it will fit in an HHR. It's not that big a generator.
                      Picture a hair smaller than a "tall style" dorm fridge, lying on its side.

                      I myself drive a Saab 9-3; it won't even pretend to fit in there.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                        On 01/04/2013 02:13 PM, evan@... wrote:
                        >>> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area
                        >>> (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and
                        >>> still have family
                        > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up
                        > as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a
                        > towable trailer on which carry the generator.
                        >
                        > Excellent!
                        >
                        > Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us
                        > get this generator from the other side of your state.
                        >
                        > This is a golden opportunity for MARCH to get a bunch of warehouse
                        > work done without the short-term pressure of staffing our museum or
                        > VCF breathing down our neck.

                        As a bonus, it was just thoroughly serviced and given a clean bill of
                        health a few weeks ago, by someone I trust. (I had let it sit too long
                        with bad gas in it..)

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          >On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                          >originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                          >little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                          >family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                          >it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                          >
                          > I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)

                          But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                          >> I have a towable > trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit
                          >is anywhere as heavy > as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift
                          >into an SUV and it would > be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.
                          >
                          > I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm bad at guessing such things,
                          >but two people can lift this generator pretty easily. I would not
                          >consider that an obstacle. Nor would I consider the additional fuel
                          >expense of towing a trailer to be worth avoiding the effort of just
                          >hefting it into the back. (IMO)

                          It's a small flat trailer that I use to tote my Guinness kit and extra
                          cans to and from concert festivals. Even loaded with kegerator and two
                          or three full cans, I see little degradation in my gas mileage. I used
                          to lease a 15 seat van each year to go to a festival in Gettysburg and
                          remove the back seat for the Guinness kit. It was cheaper to purchase
                          the trailer in the long run and the gas savings is an additional bennie.
                          But, suit yourselves. If somebody wishes to drive to A-town and put it
                          into their vehicle, have at it. I'll save my gas for both Guinness and
                          the festivals. ;)

                        • Jason Howe
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                            Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                            3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                            aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                            or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                            easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                            until power is restored at InfoAge.

                            It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                            boiler burner).

                            It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                            back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                            --Jason

                          • evan@snarc.net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                              >>> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                              aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                              until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).

                              Wonderful! That is much easier.

                              PA crew + Brian, you all still get brownie points for stepping up. :)

                              Jason, let's coordinate off-list.
                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                evan@... writes:

                                >> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a
                                >>brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during
                                >>the Sandy aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm
                                >>only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically
                                >>it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have
                                >>it on loan until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable
                                >>of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).
                                >
                                >Wonderful! That is much easier.

                                Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

                              • William Donzelli
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                  > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
                                  > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

                                  I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
                                  transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

                                  --
                                  Will
                                • evan@snarc.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                    >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

                                    Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
                                  • Mike Loewen
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                      On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

                                      >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
                                      >
                                      > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

                                      Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

                                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                        evan@...

                                        You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

                                      • evan@snarc.net
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                          >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

                                          Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                            On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                            >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                                            >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                                            >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                                            >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                                            >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                                            >>
                                            >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                                            >
                                            > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                                            Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                              On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                                              > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                                              > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                                              > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                                              > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                                              > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                                              > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                                              >
                                              > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                                              > boiler burner).
                                              >
                                              > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                                              > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                                              That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                                              if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ