RE: [midatlanticretro] No museum workdays anytime soon

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
      What is the exact need to get power up and running again? Is there an approximate cost for the repair?
      Thanks,
      Kelly

      We can't have any museum / storage area workdays because there aren't any generators available. I heard there would be some, but I'm now told they're all being used to power furnaces, re: integrity of the main buildings. Can't argue with that, but it means we can't work in our otherwise dark storage area anytime soon -- unless someone can BYO generator (MARCH could pay for the fuel).
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
        evan@... writes:

        >We can't have any museum / storage area workdays because there aren't
        >any generators available. I heard there would be some, but I'm now
        >told they're all being used to power furnaces, re: integrity of the
        >main buildings. Can't argue with that, but it means we can' t work in
        >our otherwise dark storage area anytime soon -- unless someone can BYO
        >generator (MARCH could pay for the fuel).

        I'm relatively close to Infoage and I have a 7kW (peak) generator.

        http://www.championpowerequipment.com/pdf/manuals/41311/41311_manual-english.pdf

        If you find you are hard pressed for e-juice, let me know. I would
        NOT allow it to be kept there as it IS my emergency backup and, as
        all should know unless they lived under a rock for the past several
        months, I relied on this generator through Sandy and the subsequent
        Nor'easter for my power needs. If you need electricity for a couple
        of hours some weekend, let me know well ahead of your need.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
          On 01/04/2013 11:44 AM, evan@... wrote:
          > We can't have any museum / storage area workdays because there aren't
          > any generators available. I heard there would be some, but I'm now
          > told they're all being used to power furnaces, re: integrity of the
          > main buildings. Can't argue with that, but it means we can't work in
          > our otherwise dark storage area anytime soon -- unless someone can
          > BYO generator (MARCH could pay for the fuel).

          If you can find some way to make it practical, as I cannot deliver it,
          I have a 5.5kW generator that MARCH is welcome to use. Getting it there
          would be the tough part...but if you know of someone making a trip, it
          is available. It can be moved by one person, but lifting it pretty much
          requires two.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
            I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
              On 01/04/2013 12:44 PM, evan@... wrote:
              > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on
              > all of that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is
              > big-time shit.

              Holy crap!!

              --
              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                Talked with Fred just now. He said it's fine if MARCH wants to bring in our own generator for lighting our warehouse on workdays. He said we have to promise to use common sense about that. I told him we'd try but it is sparse. :)

                Dave M.: are you saying we can use yours on long-term loan if we can get it here?

                I suggest a chain gang. Someone get it from Pittsburgh to the neat nearest place. Then someone else get it toward Mike L. in the Penn State area. Then someone else ... Etc. ... Until it's near enough for me to get it to InfoAge. I can take Alise's SUV out to the Allentown/Bethlehem area.

                Seeing as it could be weeks/months before we have regular power, I'd hate to let the issue of transit stop us from making good use of all those free Sundays.

                Brian S. -- thanks for your offer too, but we're looking for something that we can borrow for a while.
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                  On 01/04/2013 01:53 PM, evan@... wrote:
                  > Talked with Fred just now. He said it's fine if MARCH wants to bring
                  > in our own generator for lighting our warehouse on workdays. He said
                  > we have to promise to use common sense about that. I told him we'd
                  > try but it is sparse. :)

                  ;)

                  > Dave M.: are you saying we can use yours on long-term loan if we can
                  > get it here?

                  Yes. I no longer have a vehicle that can carry it.

                  > I suggest a chain gang. Someone get it from Pittsburgh to the neat
                  > nearest place. Then someone else get it toward Mike L. in the Penn
                  > State area. Then someone else ... Etc. ... Until it's near enough for
                  > me to get it to InfoAge. I can take Alise's SUV out to the
                  > Allentown/Bethlehem area.
                  >
                  > Seeing as it could be weeks/months before we have regular power, I'd
                  > hate to let the issue of transit stop us from making good use of all
                  > those free Sundays.

                  Sounds good to me.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                    >On 01/04/2013 01:53 PM, evan@... wrote:
                    >> Talked with Fred just now. He said it's fine if MARCH wants to bring
                    >> in our own generator for lighting our warehouse on workdays. He said
                    >> we have to promise to use common sense about that. I told him we'd
                    >> try but it is sparse. :)
                    >
                    > ;)
                    >
                    >> Dave M.: are you saying we can use yours on long-term loan if we can
                    >> get it here?
                    >
                    > Yes. I no longer have a vehicle that can carry it.
                    >
                    >> I suggest a chain gang. Someone get it from Pittsburgh to the neat
                    >> nearest place. Then someone else get it toward Mike L. in the Penn
                    >> State area. Then someone else ... Etc. ... Until it's near enough for
                    >> me to get it to InfoAge. I can take Alise's SUV out to the
                    >> Allentown/Bethlehem area.
                    >>
                    >> Seeing as it could be weeks/months before we have regular power, I'd
                    >> hate to let the issue of transit stop us from making good use of all
                    >> those free Sundays.
                    >
                    > Sounds good to me.

                    I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny
                    little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                    there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as
                    an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a towable
                    trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit is anywhere as heavy
                    as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift into an SUV and it would
                    be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.

                  • evan@snarc.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                      >> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                      there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a towable trailer on which carry the generator.

                      Excellent!

                      Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us get this generator from the other side of your state.

                      This is a golden opportunity for MARCH to get a bunch of warehouse work done without the short-term pressure of staffing our museum or VCF breathing down our neck.
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                        On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

                        >>> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                        > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a towable trailer on which carry the generator.
                        >
                        > Excellent!
                        >
                        > Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us get this generator from the other side of your state.

                        The roomiest transportation I have is only a Chevy HHR. Will Dave's
                        generator fit? Barry Kline, do you have a larger vehicle?

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                          On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          > I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny
                          > little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have family
                          > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up as
                          > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.

                          I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)

                          > I have a towable
                          > trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit is anywhere as heavy
                          > as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift into an SUV and it would
                          > be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.

                          I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm bad at guessing such things,
                          but two people can lift this generator pretty easily. I would not
                          consider that an obstacle. Nor would I consider the additional fuel
                          expense of towing a trailer to be worth avoiding the effort of just
                          hefting it into the back. (IMO)

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                            On 01/04/2013 02:38 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
                            >> there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it
                            >> up as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have
                            >> a towable trailer on which carry the generator.
                            >>
                            >> Excellent!
                            >>
                            >> Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us
                            >> get this generator from the other side of your state.
                            >
                            > The roomiest transportation I have is only a Chevy HHR. Will Dave's
                            > generator fit? Barry Kline, do you have a larger vehicle?

                            I'm sure it will fit in an HHR. It's not that big a generator.
                            Picture a hair smaller than a "tall style" dorm fridge, lying on its side.

                            I myself drive a Saab 9-3; it won't even pretend to fit in there.

                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                              On 01/04/2013 02:13 PM, evan@... wrote:
                              >>> I'm originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area
                              >>> (a tiny little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and
                              >>> still have family
                              > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick it up
                              > as an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage. I have a
                              > towable trailer on which carry the generator.
                              >
                              > Excellent!
                              >
                              > Paging Mike Loewen and anyone else in central PA -- please help us
                              > get this generator from the other side of your state.
                              >
                              > This is a golden opportunity for MARCH to get a bunch of warehouse
                              > work done without the short-term pressure of staffing our museum or
                              > VCF breathing down our neck.

                              As a bonus, it was just thoroughly serviced and given a clean bill of
                              health a few weeks ago, by someone I trust. (I had let it sit too long
                              with bad gas in it..)

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                >On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                                >originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                                >little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                                >family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                                >it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                                >
                                > I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)

                                But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                                >> I have a towable > trailer on which carry the generator. If this unit
                                >is anywhere as heavy > as mine (~250lbs), it'll be a real bear to lift
                                >into an SUV and it would > be much simpler to roll onto my trailer.
                                >
                                > I don't know how much it weighs, and I'm bad at guessing such things,
                                >but two people can lift this generator pretty easily. I would not
                                >consider that an obstacle. Nor would I consider the additional fuel
                                >expense of towing a trailer to be worth avoiding the effort of just
                                >hefting it into the back. (IMO)

                                It's a small flat trailer that I use to tote my Guinness kit and extra
                                cans to and from concert festivals. Even loaded with kegerator and two
                                or three full cans, I see little degradation in my gas mileage. I used
                                to lease a 15 seat van each year to go to a festival in Gettysburg and
                                remove the back seat for the Guinness kit. It was cheaper to purchase
                                the trailer in the long run and the gas savings is an additional bennie.
                                But, suit yourselves. If somebody wishes to drive to A-town and put it
                                into their vehicle, have at it. I'll save my gas for both Guinness and
                                the festivals. ;)

                              • Jason Howe
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                  Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                                  3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                                  aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                                  or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                                  easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                                  until power is restored at InfoAge.

                                  It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                                  boiler burner).

                                  It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                                  back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                                  --Jason

                                • evan@snarc.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                    >>> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                                    aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                                    until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).

                                    Wonderful! That is much easier.

                                    PA crew + Brian, you all still get brownie points for stepping up. :)

                                    Jason, let's coordinate off-list.
                                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                      evan@... writes:

                                      >> Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a
                                      >>brand new 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during
                                      >>the Sandy aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm
                                      >>only an hour or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically
                                      >>it might be easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have
                                      >>it on loan until power is restored at InfoAge. It's more than capable
                                      >>of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a boiler burner).
                                      >
                                      >Wonderful! That is much easier.

                                      Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

                                    • William Donzelli
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                        > I don't know the technical details / cost. Fred etc. are working on all of
                                        > that. The town is involved as are JCP&L and FEMA. This is big-time shit.

                                        I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the
                                        transformer on the pole. What is the size of the transformer?

                                        --
                                        Will
                                      • evan@snarc.net
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                          >> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)

                                          Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...
                                        • Mike Loewen
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                            On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, evan@... wrote:

                                            >>> Will it power the Univac? :) :) :)
                                            >
                                            > Oddly enough, we do have the generator that came with that system. But I would not trust it...

                                            Wouldn't that be a motor-generator?

                                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                              evan@...

                                              You just need to get MARCH one of these: http://tinyurl.com/a9msog6

                                            • evan@snarc.net
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                                >> I assume this is the transformer in the building, rather than the transformer on the pole.

                                                Nope - pole! The one that supplies all of InfoAge. It's (literally) WW2 equipment and, I'm told, is highly inefficient.
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                                  On 01/04/2013 03:04 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                                  >> On 01/04/2013 02:05 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote: > I'm
                                                  >> originally from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley) area (a tiny >
                                                  >> little town I'm sure nobody here has ever heard of) and still have
                                                  >> family > there. If the generator can get to that vicinity, I would pick
                                                  >> it up as > an excuse to visit the family and bring it to Infoage.
                                                  >>
                                                  >> I lived in Bethlehem for a several months about 12 years ago. :)
                                                  >
                                                  > But I'd still wager you wouldn't know the town. ;)

                                                  Probably not. ;) I wasn't there all that long.

                                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 4, 2013
                                                    On 01/04/2013 03:07 PM, Jason Howe wrote:
                                                    > Don't want to step on any toes -- but if it's easier, I have a brand new
                                                    > 3Kw generator which was purchased for and then used during the Sandy
                                                    > aftermath. It probably has less than 50 hours on it. I'm only an hour
                                                    > or so away from InfoAge in North Jersey. So, logistically it might be
                                                    > easier than getting Dave's unit out here. March can have it on loan
                                                    > until power is restored at InfoAge.
                                                    >
                                                    > It's more than capable of running a bunch of lights (and a fridge and a
                                                    > boiler burner).
                                                    >
                                                    > It's also easily rolled/carried by one person -- and will fit in the
                                                    > back of my wife's 9-3 ;)

                                                    That sounds MUCH less painful than trekking this one across PA! Evan,
                                                    if you need *another* one, mine will remain available.

                                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ