Re: [midatlanticretro] What are these from?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      On 01/03/2013 09:19 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
      >> Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
      >> originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.
      >
      > Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
      > but if I come across something, I will try to remember
      > to note it.

      Cool, no worries, I was just curious. I've been looking at (fondling,
      lusting over) those boards all my life; to hear that those little
      handles maybe weren't originally a DEC thing was something I'd never
      have expected.

      >> Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
      >> Philco chips?
      >
      > Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
      > (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
      > the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
      > laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
      > hex inverter.

      Ahh!

      >> Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
      >> the Eastern Bloc machines?
      >
      > They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
      > look, just as Japanese boards do.

      Oh ok. I've never seen one of those machines (or their guts) in person.

      > I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
      > never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
      > all over the place.

      Yeah. :-(

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ