Re: [midatlanticretro] What are these from?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      -------- Original Message --------

      The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
      already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

      Bill
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
        > Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
        > originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

        Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
        but if I come across something, I will try to remember
        to note it.

        > Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
        > Philco chips?

        Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
        (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
        the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
        laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
        hex inverter.

        > Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
        > the Eastern Bloc machines?

        They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
        look, just as Japanese boards do.

        I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
        never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
        all over the place.

        --
        Will
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
          > The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
          > already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

          No, not Univac nor Burroughs nor CDC nor GE. The part number format is wrong.

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
            On 01/03/2013 09:19 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
            >> Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
            >> originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.
            >
            > Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
            > but if I come across something, I will try to remember
            > to note it.

            Cool, no worries, I was just curious. I've been looking at (fondling,
            lusting over) those boards all my life; to hear that those little
            handles maybe weren't originally a DEC thing was something I'd never
            have expected.

            >> Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
            >> Philco chips?
            >
            > Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
            > (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
            > the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
            > laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
            > hex inverter.

            Ahh!

            >> Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
            >> the Eastern Bloc machines?
            >
            > They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
            > look, just as Japanese boards do.

            Oh ok. I've never seen one of those machines (or their guts) in person.

            > I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
            > never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
            > all over the place.

            Yeah. :-(

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ