Re: [midatlanticretro] What are these from?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      On 01/03/2013 08:21 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
      >> Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
      >
      > I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
      > they existed prior to 1960. Off to the Radio Masters...

      Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
      originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

      Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
      Philco chips? I do. That would put these boards in the time when DEC
      had been using those handles (and that general form factor) for several
      years.

      Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
      the Eastern Bloc machines?

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
        > > Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
        >
        > I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
        > they existed prior to 1960. Off to the ...

        The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
        already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

        Bill
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
          > Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
          > originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

          Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
          but if I come across something, I will try to remember
          to note it.

          > Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
          > Philco chips?

          Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
          (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
          the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
          laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
          hex inverter.

          > Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
          > the Eastern Bloc machines?

          They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
          look, just as Japanese boards do.

          I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
          never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
          all over the place.

          --
          Will
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
            > The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
            > already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

            No, not Univac nor Burroughs nor CDC nor GE. The part number format is wrong.

            --
            Will
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
              On 01/03/2013 09:19 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
              >> Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
              >> originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.
              >
              > Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
              > but if I come across something, I will try to remember
              > to note it.

              Cool, no worries, I was just curious. I've been looking at (fondling,
              lusting over) those boards all my life; to hear that those little
              handles maybe weren't originally a DEC thing was something I'd never
              have expected.

              >> Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
              >> Philco chips?
              >
              > Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
              > (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
              > the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
              > laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
              > hex inverter.

              Ahh!

              >> Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
              >> the Eastern Bloc machines?
              >
              > They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
              > look, just as Japanese boards do.

              Oh ok. I've never seen one of those machines (or their guts) in person.

              > I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
              > never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
              > all over the place.

              Yeah. :-(

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ