Has anyone seen one of these in the wild

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      Hi all,

      I was watching a Bell Labs video last night and saw this terminal, it is IBM and looks to be based on a wide carriage Selectric.

      Has anyone ever seen one of these or used them or more importantly has anyone EVER seen one for sale?

      Matt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        On 01/03/2013 08:37 PM, Matt Patoray wrote:
        > I was watching a Bell Labs video last night and saw this terminal, it
        > is IBM and looks to be based on a wide carriage Selectric.
        >
        > Has anyone ever seen one of these or used them or more importantly
        > has anyone EVER seen one for sale?

        Is this not a 2741?

        I've never seen one pop up anywhere. :-(

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
          > I was watching a Bell Labs video last night and saw this terminal, it is
          > IBM and looks to be based on a wide carriage Selectric.
          >
          > Has anyone ever seen one of these or used them or more importantly has
          > anyone EVER seen one for sale?

          Yes, a surplus place out West had them recently, but they are gone
          now. They were purchased mostly for engineering firms, I think, for
          annotating drawings. I have an earlier model B with a very wide
          carriage, as part of the IBM 870 system.

          --
          Will
        • Dave Wade
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
            On 04/01/2013 01:37, Matt Patoray wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I was watching a Bell Labs video last night and saw this terminal, it is IBM and looks to be based on a wide carriage Selectric.
            >
            > Has anyone ever seen one of these or used them or more importantly has anyone EVER seen one for sale?
            >
            > Matt

            I think thats DUFF aspect ratio on the conversion to video. All the i/o
            selectrics I have seen, so typically the IBM2741 like this:-

            http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/history/page_19.htm

            had a carriage wide enough to take 120 column printer paper. If any one
            has one going spare in Europe I am always looking .....

            --
            Dave Wade G4UGM
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum