Re: [midatlanticretro] What are these from?

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      > Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.

      I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
      they existed prior to 1960. Off to the Radio Masters...

      --
      Will
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
        On 01/03/2013 08:21 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
        >> Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
        >
        > I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
        > they existed prior to 1960. Off to the Radio Masters...

        Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
        originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

        Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
        Philco chips? I do. That would put these boards in the time when DEC
        had been using those handles (and that general form factor) for several
        years.

        Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
        the Eastern Bloc machines?

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
          > > Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
          >
          > I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
          > they existed prior to 1960. Off to the ...

          The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
          already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

          Bill
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
            > Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
            > originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

            Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
            but if I come across something, I will try to remember
            to note it.

            > Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
            > Philco chips?

            Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
            (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
            the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
            laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
            hex inverter.

            > Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
            > the Eastern Bloc machines?

            They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
            look, just as Japanese boards do.

            I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
            never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
            all over the place.

            --
            Will
          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
              > The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
              > already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

              No, not Univac nor Burroughs nor CDC nor GE. The part number format is wrong.

              --
              Will
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
                On 01/03/2013 09:19 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
                >> Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
                >> originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.
                >
                > Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
                > but if I come across something, I will try to remember
                > to note it.

                Cool, no worries, I was just curious. I've been looking at (fondling,
                lusting over) those boards all my life; to hear that those little
                handles maybe weren't originally a DEC thing was something I'd never
                have expected.

                >> Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
                >> Philco chips?
                >
                > Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
                > (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
                > the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
                > laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
                > hex inverter.

                Ahh!

                >> Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
                >> the Eastern Bloc machines?
                >
                > They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
                > look, just as Japanese boards do.

                Oh ok. I've never seen one of those machines (or their guts) in person.

                > I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
                > never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
                > all over the place.

                Yeah. :-(

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ