Re: [midatlanticretro] What are these from?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
      On 01/03/2013 07:07 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
      > Posted a couple of logic cards from approx spring 1968 on my site. Can
      > anyone guess what these are from?
      >
      > http://vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=499

      Verrry interesting! They look like some random DEC Flip Chips at
      first glance...

      But! They lack the usual little angle bites out of the card-edge
      area...they're the same width all the way down. Also, the tops of the
      fingers are rounded, not square...I've never seen that on a DEC board.
      Further, DEC's PCB traces in that era were almost always tinned, and
      I've never seen them number the fingers in silkscreen. (at least not
      that I can recall) Further yet, the part of the plastic handle that
      attaches to the board doesn't extend to the entire width of the board,
      as DEC's usually (always?) did. And the handle numbering scheme
      certainly doesn't have a DECflavor.

      They do NOT look like DEC boards to me, and if they're not, they were
      clearly DEC-influenced. Maybe Dave G can weigh in on this as well; Dave?

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
        On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 07:30:04PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

        > They do NOT look like DEC boards to me, and if they're not, they were
        > clearly DEC-influenced. Maybe Dave G can weigh in on this as well; Dave?

        Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
      • William Donzelli
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
          > Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.

          I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
          they existed prior to 1960. Off to the Radio Masters...

          --
          Will
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
            On 01/03/2013 08:21 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
            >> Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
            >
            > I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
            > they existed prior to 1960. Off to the Radio Masters...

            Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
            originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

            Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
            Philco chips? I do. That would put these boards in the time when DEC
            had been using those handles (and that general form factor) for several
            years.

            Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
            the Eastern Bloc machines?

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
              > > Same thoughts. I have not seen cards that match these.
              >
              > I do not think those card handles are a DEC design - I am pretty sure
              > they existed prior to 1960. Off to the ...

              The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
              already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

              Bill
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
                > Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
                > originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.

                Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
                but if I come across something, I will try to remember
                to note it.

                > Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
                > Philco chips?

                Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
                (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
                the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
                laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
                hex inverter.

                > Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
                > the Eastern Bloc machines?

                They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
                look, just as Japanese boards do.

                I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
                never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
                all over the place.

                --
                Will
              • William Donzelli
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
                  > The date on two chips is 1968. I compared with a DEC flipchip card
                  > already. Not a match. Could be later 60's UNIVAC?

                  No, not Univac nor Burroughs nor CDC nor GE. The part number format is wrong.

                  --
                  Will
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 3, 2013
                    On 01/03/2013 09:19 PM, William Donzelli wrote:
                    >> Oh?? Well I'm very much a DEChead; I thought DEC designed those
                    >> originally. I would love to know more about this if you find out more.
                    >
                    > Honestly, I really do not have the time to search my documentation,
                    > but if I come across something, I will try to remember
                    > to note it.

                    Cool, no worries, I was just curious. I've been looking at (fondling,
                    lusting over) those boards all my life; to hear that those little
                    handles maybe weren't originally a DEC thing was something I'd never
                    have expected.

                    >> Do you concur with Bill's interpretation of the date codes on the
                    >> Philco chips?
                    >
                    > Yes, 1968, and the transistors (Fairchild) are also from the same time
                    > (and I think I saw a datecode on a capacitor, too). It appears that
                    > the DR may be for "driver", as that seems to be what the circuit is
                    > laid out to be. The PD993659 is better known as the plain old DTL 936
                    > hex inverter.

                    Ahh!

                    >> Is it possible that these are boards from a clones, like maybe one of
                    >> the Eastern Bloc machines?
                    >
                    > They do not look Eastern Bloc. Circuit boards from that region have a
                    > look, just as Japanese boards do.

                    Oh ok. I've never seen one of those machines (or their guts) in person.

                    > I suspect these are from some embedded system doing something we may
                    > never know, from the era when people still liked to use little boards
                    > all over the place.

                    Yeah. :-(

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ