ASR 33 mods for Digial pdp 8 or 11

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2012

      > On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 04:15:19PM -0500, David Gesswein wrote:
      > > It should
      > > transmit without the mod, just the paper tape reader may loose
      characters
      > > and won't turn on automatically.
      > >
      > This may have been unclear. It is referring to the reader run mod.
      Teletypes
      > had lots of options so it can be configured such that it doesn't work.
      The
      > teletype does need to be set to passive transmit loop (just contact
      closure).

      I understand what you're saying about the reader control. I may be able to
      load the absolute loader without the run reader add-on, but not do more
      complex reads. Also, I will have to manually start the reader and manually
      stop it, which may cause problems if the computer has precise tape advance
      operations or stops and starts.

      My stock teletype can receive, but I believe you have to complete some of
      the mods listed on page two and three of your doc ...
      http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/tifftopdf.pl/CHD/LT33_print_set
      .pdf
      ... to send from the ASR to the computer, regardless if you have the run
      reader card installed.

      I was told you needed a manual reader for the run reader (part number 4915)
      to work. If the read arm springs back from START it's "automatic" and
      will not work with the pdp 8 or 11 as DEC intended.

      What I think I will do is make the mods to the UCC-6 terminal strip, molex
      plug connector 4, and WRU Prawl Spring (what ever that is) and see what
      happens. These mods are on page 2 and 3 of the doc. I can always put it
      back. I still plan to do more research. If you or anyone happens to have
      a photo of their DEC-supplied teletype's UCC-6 molex plug connectors and/or
      terminal strip I would be interested to see for comparison purposes. I am
      confident I have the correct terminal strip connections coming from the PDP
      11/05. I double checked this today.

      Bill
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2012
        On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 09:53:38PM -0500, B. Degnan wrote:

        > My stock teletype can receive, but I believe you have to complete some of
        > the mods listed on page two and three of your doc ...
        > http://www.pdp8online.com/pdp8cgi/query_docs/tifftopdf.pl/CHD/LT33_print_set
        > .pdf
        > ... to send from the ASR to the computer, regardless if you have the run
        > reader card installed.

        Since the instructions are just more a to b without diging out more
        documentation I can't tell what the changes really do. If you decide you
        need help I will do that.

        > I was told you needed a manual reader for the run reader (part number 4915)
        > to work. If the read arm springs back from START it's "automatic" and
        > will not work with the pdp 8 or 11 as DEC intended.

        It may not work as DEC intended but it will work. Mine does the spring
        back and I got it to work ok. I didn't get the original teletype. I got one
        from a HAM and figured how to modify it back before I had access to the proper
        modification documentation so it may be unique.