re: [midatlanticretro] Update re: InfoAge electrical power

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012

      > Still no power at InfoAge, nor any real news on when it'll be fixed. But
      there are four or five small generators on campus for short-term use. For
      example, IXR and Dan Jacobs are having a NYE party (all are invited;
      unfortunately I have already have plans). Diver Dan says we can still do
      warehouse work on Sundays if we give Fred, etc. a couple of days' notice
      about using a generator for light. So we are definitely taking off
      tomorrow. We'll probably have Sunday work parties starting in a week or
      two; to be determined.

      Is this a long term thing? More than just "the power company is busy
      fixing the problem"?
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
        >> Is this a long term thing?

        As I understand it, the issue -- which Fred etc. are just starting to address -- is who'll pay. A modern transformer, etc., can cost tens of thousands of dollars. So, yes, it could be a couple of months. I am optimistic that's "at worst". In the meantime, we can look at it as a vacation from museum-operating duty, and an opportunity to get things done in storage. Ironically, some InfoAge people raised the issue of closing for Jan./Feb. anyhow so everyone can work on museum projects, but the proposal was voted down.
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
          >As I understand it, the issue -- which Fred etc. are just starting to
          >address -- is who'll pay. A modern transformer, etc., can cost tens of
          >thousands of dollars. So, yes, it could be a couple of months. I am
          >optimistic that's "at >worst". In the meantime, we can look at it as a
          >vacation from museum-operating duty, and an opportunity to get things done
          >in storage. Ironically, some InfoAge people raised the issue of closing for
          >Jan./Feb. anyhow so >everyone can work on museum projects, but the proposal
          >was voted down.

          Spending a lot of focused time working on the storage area can be a good
          thing. Although we all love the museum, it splits our attention from getting
          the storage area into shape. Anyway January and February tend to be slow
          months. Hopefully the power will be back on soon, but in the meantime we can
          still get stuff done.

          Jeff Brace