Update re: InfoAge electrical power

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
      Still no power at InfoAge, nor any real news on when it'll be fixed. But there are four or five small generators on campus for short-term use. For example, IXR and Dan Jacobs are having a NYE party (all are invited; unfortunately I have already have plans). Diver Dan says we can still do warehouse work on Sundays if we give Fred, etc. a couple of days' notice about using a generator for light. So we are definitely taking off tomorrow. We'll probably have Sunday work parties starting in a week or two; to be determined.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012

        > Still no power at InfoAge, nor any real news on when it'll be fixed. But
        there are four or five small generators on campus for short-term use. For
        example, IXR and Dan Jacobs are having a NYE party (all are invited;
        unfortunately I have already have plans). Diver Dan says we can still do
        warehouse work on Sundays if we give Fred, etc. a couple of days' notice
        about using a generator for light. So we are definitely taking off
        tomorrow. We'll probably have Sunday work parties starting in a week or
        two; to be determined.

        Is this a long term thing? More than just "the power company is busy
        fixing the problem"?
      • evan@snarc.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
          >> Is this a long term thing?

          As I understand it, the issue -- which Fred etc. are just starting to address -- is who'll pay. A modern transformer, etc., can cost tens of thousands of dollars. So, yes, it could be a couple of months. I am optimistic that's "at worst". In the meantime, we can look at it as a vacation from museum-operating duty, and an opportunity to get things done in storage. Ironically, some InfoAge people raised the issue of closing for Jan./Feb. anyhow so everyone can work on museum projects, but the proposal was voted down.
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2012
            >As I understand it, the issue -- which Fred etc. are just starting to
            >address -- is who'll pay. A modern transformer, etc., can cost tens of
            >thousands of dollars. So, yes, it could be a couple of months. I am
            >optimistic that's "at >worst". In the meantime, we can look at it as a
            >vacation from museum-operating duty, and an opportunity to get things done
            >in storage. Ironically, some InfoAge people raised the issue of closing for
            >Jan./Feb. anyhow so >everyone can work on museum projects, but the proposal
            >was voted down.

            Spending a lot of focused time working on the storage area can be a good
            thing. Although we all love the museum, it splits our attention from getting
            the storage area into shape. Anyway January and February tend to be slow
            months. Hopefully the power will be back on soon, but in the meantime we can
            still get stuff done.

            Jeff Brace