RK05s, was Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: What tech toys did you get for the holidays?

  • Stephen L
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 28, 2012
      Hi Dave,

      > If you think the head alignment is off I'd start with a new pack and
      > try formating in then running the standalone diagnostics. That way
      > the alignment won't matter. Then try a pack with known good contents.

      --- Sounds like a good plan. Of course, there is a lot of work to do to get to that point. Need to reform/checkout/fix the power supplies and deal with the decaying foam. The foam collar between the blower and the card cage is mostly gone. The prefilter and holder are gone...

      > The head alignment seems pretty stable so you should be ok as long as
      > you didn't have to disassemble anything on the positioner. My drives
      > exchanged packs fine and when I checked with my alignment pack they
      > weren't that far off.

      --- That's very encouraging :)

      > If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
      > when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
      > around.

      --- Yeah, I've been giving that the hairy eyeball, trying to think of a better solution. Will probably just replace it, though.

      > FYI: I have software that will dump and restore pack contents to a PC.

      --- Thanks. That will be very useful for a backup, until I can acquire another RK05. Bill has kindly offered to write an OS/8 image on a disk pack, to get me started.

      Love your site, by the way. Awed by all you've done.

      Steve L.