RK05s, was Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: What tech toys did you get for the holidays?

  • Stephen L
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
      Hi Bill,

      > Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and
      > copies of the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be
      > happy to make you a boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have
      > the system set up and ready to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.

      --- Awesome systems! Geez, I would really appreciate that. It would save a major hassle in trying to build OS/8 from paper tape images. Prior to that, having a known good disk to read would also facilitate drive/controller hardware debugging. I won't have an alignment cart, so this drive might not initially align with your tracks. However, I'm optimistic that I can work out a way to align to those tracks.

      Athana said that some of their staff is out for the holidays, so the disks won't ship until next week. There's a week transit from CA and perhaps a couple days to PA, so it might be Jan. 15th before I can get it to you.

      There's plenty of work to do here, refurbishing the RK05, making H851-type top connectors and such, not to mention finding an M7105. All good fun. Love playing with the toys :)

      Thanks, Steve

      PS: I'm still looking for a second RK05 drive, in case you hear of any available.
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012

        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > > Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and
        > > copies of the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be
        > > happy to make you a boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have
        > > the system set up and ready to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.

        Correction - I have 4 disk packs for my two RK05's. They're set up in
        tandem as drive 0 and 1.

        > --- Awesome systems! Geez, I would really appreciate that. It would save
        a major hassle in trying to build OS/8 from paper tape images. Prior to
        that, having a known good disk to read would also facilitate
        drive/controller hardware debugging. I won't have an alignment cart, so
        this drive might not initially align with your tracks. However, I'm
        optimistic that I can work out a way to align to those tracks.

        > Athana said that some of their staff is out for the holidays, so the
        disks won't ship until next week. There's a week transit from CA and
        perhaps a couple days to PA, so it might be Jan. 15th before I can get it
        to you.

        OK. I ordered a few too, why not.

        Bill
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
          On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:28:30AM -0000, Stephen L wrote:
          > Hi Bill,
          >
          > > Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and
          > > copies of the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be
          > > happy to make you a boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have
          > > the system set up and ready to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.
          >
          > --- Awesome systems! Geez, I would really appreciate that. It would save
          > a major hassle in trying to build OS/8 from paper tape images. Prior to
          > that, having a known good disk to read would also
          > facilitate drive/controller hardware debugging. I won't have an
          > alignment cart, so this drive might not initially align with your tracks.
          > However, I'm optimistic that I can work out a way to align to those tracks.

          If you think the head alignment is off I'd start with a new pack and
          try formating in then running the standalone diagnostics. That way
          the alignment won't matter. Then try a pack with known good contents.
          The head alignment seems pretty stable so you should be ok as long as
          you didn't have to disassemble anything on the positioner. My drives
          exchanged packs fine and when I checked with my alignment pack they
          weren't that far off. Certain hardware faults can also prevent reading of a
          good pack but work fine on a self formatted pack. I had a counter fail
          that set one of the track header delays wrong that caused that symptom.

          If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
          when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
          around.

          FYI: I have software that will dump and restore pack contents to a
          PC.
          http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/software/dumprest/
          and images here
          http://www.pdp8online.com/images/index.shtml
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012

            > If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
            > when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
            > around.

            Dave - Assuming my battery pack is long dead, if it's there at all, are
            they prone to leakage and cause damage - should I attend to this
            immediately?

            Bill
          • Stephen L
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 28, 2012
              Hi Dave,

              > If you think the head alignment is off I'd start with a new pack and
              > try formating in then running the standalone diagnostics. That way
              > the alignment won't matter. Then try a pack with known good contents.

              --- Sounds like a good plan. Of course, there is a lot of work to do to get to that point. Need to reform/checkout/fix the power supplies and deal with the decaying foam. The foam collar between the blower and the card cage is mostly gone. The prefilter and holder are gone...

              > The head alignment seems pretty stable so you should be ok as long as
              > you didn't have to disassemble anything on the positioner. My drives
              > exchanged packs fine and when I checked with my alignment pack they
              > weren't that far off.

              --- That's very encouraging :)

              > If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
              > when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
              > around.

              --- Yeah, I've been giving that the hairy eyeball, trying to think of a better solution. Will probably just replace it, though.

              > FYI: I have software that will dump and restore pack contents to a PC.

              --- Thanks. That will be very useful for a backup, until I can acquire another RK05. Bill has kindly offered to write an OS/8 image on a disk pack, to get me started.

              Love your site, by the way. Awed by all you've done.

              Steve L.