Ok, did anyone take notes when Lee Felsenstein helped with the Sol20 workshop

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2012
      I have started the de-hacking of the system... I removed all the cards and the personality module.

      First step, I hooked the keyboard back up using the correct cable. I reseated the Graphics-Add in module (how common was this module), and reseated the Z80 daughter board (I don't have a spare 8080 and won't risk my white ceramic one in my altair).

      I plugged it into a monitor and turned it on....

      All I got was two white scrolling bars across the screen.

      Anyone have a idea where to start looking... I could swear someone else had that problem at the workshop, but I was in and out.

      BTW: I have determined cosmetically the whole machine needs a restoration. I will have to sand and re-stain the sides, sand blast the chassis (it has some rust spots) and respray the metal. Still not sure if I want to weld in the replacement metal, I kinda like the idea I can open up the case while it's on. I was actually thinking of replacing the keyboard screws with thumb screws anyway to make it easier to open. I plan on making this my "heavy lifting" S100 machine since my Altair is more of a museum type of piece.

      Thanks,
      Corey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2012
        Herb and I, with a few minutes of Lee peeking over our shoulders,
        systematically walked through the schematic. We made I though to the ROM
        and stopped. Ran out of time. Found nothing wrong so far, but you can see
        my post on vintagecomputer.net for more details. We found an error in the
        original docs and reported it to Lee. He confirmed. In a hurry at the
        moment, can get into more details if interested.
        Bill

        Felsenstein helped with the Sol20 workshop

        > I have started the de-hacking of the system... I removed all the cards
        and the personality module.

        > First step, I hooked the keyboard back up using the correct cable. I
        reseated the Graphics-Add in module (how common was this module), and
        reseated the Z80 daughter board (I don't have a spare 8080 and won't risk
        my white ceramic one in my altair).

        > I plugged it into a monitor and turned it on....
        >
        > All I got was two white scrolling bars across the screen.
        >
        > Anyone have a idea where to start looking... I could swear someone else
        had that problem at the workshop, but I was in and out.

        > BTW: I have determined cosmetically the whole machine needs a
        restoration. I will have to sand and re-stain the sides, sand blast the
        chassis (it has some rust spots) and respray the metal. Still not sure if
        I want to weld in the replacement metal, I kinda like the idea I can open
        up the case while it's on. I was actually thinking of replacing the
        keyboard screws with thumb screws anyway to make it easier to open. I
        plan on making this my "heavy lifting" S100 machine since my Altair is more
        of a museum type of piece.

        > Thanks,
        > Corey

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2013
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" wrote:

          > Herb and I, with a few minutes of Lee peeking over our shoulders,
          > systematically walked through the schematic. We made I though to the ROM
          > and stopped. Ran out of time. Found nothing wrong so far, but you can see
          > my post on vintagecomputer.net for more details. We found an error in the
          > original docs and reported it to Lee. He confirmed. In a hurry at the
          > moment, can get into more details if interested.
          > Bill

          Speaking for myself, Herb Johnson:

          http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/sol_1.html
          http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/marchfixit5_12.html

          Of the two machines I brought to Infoage/MARCH, one of them ran with not much fuss. I did not spend a lot of time on the other. My subsequent work was on the keyboard. I built a keyboard "monitor" which allowed me to repair the keyboard without needing a working SOL.

          Bill mentioned his site:

          http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=254

          There's further links and posts there on his Sol work.

          Herb Johnson