Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Looking for a DSO/MSO

    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 26, 2012
      On 12/26/2012 02:18 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
      > I ended up buying 4 Agilent N2863a probes, again following your advice
      > to get quality probes.

      Excellent.

      > I'm trying to download the manuals for the
      > scope, from Agilent (thank goodness they keep docs online for 20 year
      > old equipment!),

      Yes, they're great about that. What's even better is they've been
      scanning paper-only manuals and are supplying, free of charge, scanned
      docs of FIFTY year old equipment. Very nice!

      > but their documentation service seems to be down for
      > the holidays. Oh well, since I had to get the probes from Malaysia, I
      > probably won't be able to use the scope for a month or so. That'll give
      > me plenty of time to read the docs, before I use the scope.

      Weird; I've never seen their doc system go down.

      > What do you think of the GPIB interface? I know that you can use that
      > to print from the scope, and it seems like it can be used to control the
      > scope, but is it worth me trying to get a USB-GPIB interface? The card
      > based (PCI, and PCIe) interfaces are seriously expensive, so I'd rather
      > not get those. I'm also not sure what software (other than LabView,
      > which is way beyond my price range) is capable of driving the scope,
      > over GPIB.

      GPIB is very handy. If you want to drop some coin and do a LOT of
      cool stuff, get one of the Prologix GPIB<->Ethernet adapters. Screw
      USB...with Ethernet, you can control your equipment from across the room
      or from a hotel room in Albuquerque!

      With that, you can do basic stuff (managing settins, pulling out
      digitized waveforms, etc) with just some simple scripting. I'll talk to
      you offline about other software possibilities.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • J. Alexander Jacocks
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20 12:32 PM
        On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        On 12/26/2012 02:18 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
        > I ended up buying 4 Agilent N2863a probes, again following your advice
        > to get quality probes.

        Excellent.

        > I'm trying to download the manuals for the
        > scope, from Agilent (thank goodness they keep docs online for 20 year
        > old equipment!),

        Yes, they're great about that. What's even better is they've been
        scanning paper-only manuals and are supplying, free of charge, scanned
        docs of FIFTY year old equipment. Very nice!

        > but their documentation service seems to be down for
        > the holidays. Oh well, since I had to get the probes from Malaysia, I
        > probably won't be able to use the scope for a month or so. That'll give
        > me plenty of time to read the docs, before I use the scope.

        Weird; I've never seen their doc system go down.

        > What do you think of the GPIB interface? I know that you can use that
        > to print from the scope, and it seems like it can be used to control the
        > scope, but is it worth me trying to get a USB-GPIB interface? The card
        > based (PCI, and PCIe) interfaces are seriously expensive, so I'd rather
        > not get those. I'm also not sure what software (other than LabView,
        > which is way beyond my price range) is capable of driving the scope,
        > over GPIB.

        GPIB is very handy. If you want to drop some coin and do a LOT of
        cool stuff, get one of the Prologix GPIB<->Ethernet adapters. Screw
        USB...with Ethernet, you can control your equipment from across the room
        or from a hotel room in Albuquerque!

        With that, you can do basic stuff (managing settins, pulling out
        digitized waveforms, etc) with just some simple scripting. I'll talk to
        you offline about other software possibilities.

        To conduct a bit of thread necromancy, I just got another scope, that I couldn't resist buying, because it was really cheap.

        I picked up a Tektronix TDS380 2 channel 400 MHz 2GSa/sec, with 2 Tek P6114B probes.  It's in beautiful shape, and has a recent calibration, which was why it caught my eye.

        However, it doesn't have GPIB, though it has room for the option.  Does anyone have a GPIB option 14 interface that they'd like to part with?

        Thanks!
        - Alex