OT: What tech toys did you get for the holidays?

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
      Here's a fun discussion subject: what tech gadgets did everyone get for (name your winter celebration)?

      I got a running jacket with front and rear blinking LED strips, so I can run at night and be seen by motorists; an aftermarket doohickey for my car that replaces a flawed Mazda doohickey (if ya'll must know, it's a Bosch boost sensor solenoid; the stock one needs monthly cleanings or else it gets stuck, which creates all sorts of chaos -- and yet the Bosch metal part costs less than the Mazda plastic part!); and a 42-inch Sony Bravia HD TV (it says "edge LED") which weighs tons less and displays a tons-better picture than my old tube TV ... so naturally I'm hooking up an Atari 2600!
    • Tim Fagan
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
        I played some Atari 2600 and Atari 8-bit games via my modded Xbox on my new 73" DLP. Needless to say, it was a little surreal. 8 bit graphics/sprites do not scale well. LOL   :-)

        Hope everyone had a great holiday.

        --Timster--

        From: <evan@...>
        Date: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:01 PM
        To: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] OT: What tech toys did you get for the holidays?

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
          On 12/25/2012 11:01 PM, evan@... wrote:
          > Here's a fun discussion subject: what tech gadgets did everyone get
          > for (name your winter celebration)?
          >
          > I got a running jacket with front and rear blinking LED strips, so I
          > can run at night and be seen by motorists; an aftermarket doohickey
          > for my car that replaces a flawed Mazda doohickey (if ya'll must
          > know, it's a Bosch boost sensor solenoid; the stock one needs monthly
          > cleanings or else it gets stuck, which creates all sorts of chaos --
          > and yet the Bosch metal part costs less than the Mazda plastic
          > part!); and a 42-inch Sony Bravia HD TV (it says "edge LED") which
          > weighs tons less and displays a tons-better picture than my old tube
          > TV ... so naturally I'm hooking up an Atari 2600!

          Sweet!

          Autumn is a huge fan of Poe, so I found her a copy of The Works of
          Edgar Allan Poe...in near-mint condition, over a century old. Printed
          in 1904. Done on a Linotype...absolutely beautiful books.

          She's not letting me out of the apartment for awhile. ;)

          I spent a good chunk of today continuing restoration work on my Tek
          661 analog sampling oscilloscope. (3.9GHz bandwidth in 1961...they don't
          make 'em like they used to!) I'm restoring this for pleasure, but will
          use it for real work...it's older than I am, but a current-model
          oscilloscope that does what this one can do has a price tag reminiscent
          of that of my last Porsche.

          Now, however, I am quite drunk. Dan Roganti stopped by; we got him
          (and his daughter, and her boyfriend) nice and drunk too. We're just
          evil that way.

          *burp*

          Life is good.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
            >Here's a fun discussion subject: what tech gadgets did everyone get for
            >(name your winter celebration)?

            For Christmas I got myself an iPhone 4. Also I was given a 2TB hard drive
            for my PC as I needed something to back up my now filled 1.5 TB drive.
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
              On 12/26/2012 01:20 AM, Dave McGuire wrote:
              > On 12/25/2012 11:01 PM, evan@... wrote:
              >> Here's a fun discussion subject: what tech gadgets did everyone get
              >> for (name your winter celebration)?
              >>
              >> I got a running jacket with front and rear blinking LED strips, so I
              >> can run at night and be seen by motorists; an aftermarket doohickey
              >> for my car that replaces a flawed Mazda doohickey (if ya'll must
              >> know, it's a Bosch boost sensor solenoid; the stock one needs monthly
              >> cleanings or else it gets stuck, which creates all sorts of chaos --
              >> and yet the Bosch metal part costs less than the Mazda plastic
              >> part!); and a 42-inch Sony Bravia HD TV (it says "edge LED") which
              >> weighs tons less and displays a tons-better picture than my old tube
              >> TV ... so naturally I'm hooking up an Atari 2600!
              >
              > Sweet!
              >
              > Autumn is a huge fan of Poe, so I found her a copy of The Works of
              > Edgar Allan Poe...in near-mint condition, over a century old. Printed
              > in 1904. Done on a Linotype...absolutely beautiful books.

              (in ten volumes..)

              --
              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
                I treated myself to a completely non-functional ADM-3 terminal. It's a load of work, and more than I imagined. I restored the screen already, but tackling the main board has proved to be a challenge. The corrosion of the keyboard has made me reconsider pursuing restoring the original keyboard, but instead opting for a modern replacement. And by modern replacement, I mean making a steel or aluminum plate to hold a bunch of Cherry MX Blue keyswitches (or similar), which will then be put on standoffs, then screwed into the board (using existing holes). Pigtails will connect all of the pins from the keyswitches to the board. This will be an utter pain, but it is the only long-term feasible replacement I have come up with. If I could find the individual gold-plated spring contacts used in the original keyboard, I'd certainly use those instead. However, I think LSI went out of business a while back, and probably ran out of stock of those even further back. I'll also have to look at how to attach these key caps with large square backs to Cherry keyswitches, with '+' fittings.

                Restoring the screen was pretty easy. I put the CRT in front of a space heater, came back 30 minutes later, and with a little persuasion, the glass came right off. That adhesive sure smelled bad, though! The CRT definitely has noticeable burn-in, trailing off from left to right, but it still looks usable. After a good cleaning, I stood the glass cover off about 1/8" using popsicle sticks and used hot glue to keep the screen in place. A bit of packing tape all the way around should keep the dust out. It looks pretty good so far. Too bad the CRT doesn't seem to be lighting up any for me to see. Maybe the filament is toast, or maybe it's not getting any voltage. Who knows...

                All of the 5V regulators were outputting close to 0V, though they weren't getting much on the input either. Turned out it was a cold solder joint on the bridge rectifier. Now I've got a nice 5V across the board, so the CRT and related circuits will be next to diagnose. Thank goodness the repair manual for the ADM-3 is available online.

                I'll have a picture album put together within the next few weeks as I complete more of it. It's cleaned up alright so far, but the main board is fairly corroded. Some ICs may need replacing, and I think I will likely need to spend some more time cleaning it. Isopropanol and methanol got a lot of the goop off, but I think soap and water might be required to get the rest off.

                More updates to come...going to VA and won't be back until next week.

                Kyle

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 25, 2012
                  On 12/26/2012 01:56 AM, Kyle Owen wrote:
                  > I treated myself to a completely non-functional ADM-3 terminal. It's a
                  > load of work, and more than I imagined. I restored the screen already,
                  > but tackling the main board has proved to be a challenge. The corrosion
                  > of the keyboard has made me reconsider pursuing restoring the original
                  > keyboard, but instead opting for a modern replacement. And by modern
                  > replacement, I mean making a steel or aluminum plate to hold a bunch of
                  > Cherry MX Blue keyswitches (or similar), which will then be put on
                  > standoffs, then screwed into the board (using existing holes). Pigtails
                  > will connect all of the pins from the keyswitches to the board. This
                  > will be an utter pain, but it is the only long-term feasible replacement
                  > I have come up with. If I could find the individual gold-plated spring
                  > contacts used in the original keyboard, I'd certainly use those instead.
                  > However, I think LSI went out of business a while back, and probably ran
                  > out of stock of those even further back. I'll also have to look at how
                  > to attach these key caps with large square backs to Cherry keyswitches,
                  > with '+' fittings.
                  >
                  > Restoring the screen was pretty easy. I put the CRT in front of a space
                  > heater, came back 30 minutes later, and with a little persuasion, the
                  > glass came right off. That adhesive sure smelled bad, though! The CRT
                  > definitely has noticeable burn-in, trailing off from left to right, but
                  > it still looks usable. After a good cleaning, I stood the glass cover
                  > off about 1/8" using popsicle sticks and used hot glue to keep the
                  > screen in place. A bit of packing tape all the way around should keep
                  > the dust out. It looks pretty good so far. Too bad the CRT doesn't seem
                  > to be lighting up any for me to see. Maybe the filament is toast, or
                  > maybe it's not getting any voltage. Who knows...
                  >
                  > All of the 5V regulators were outputting close to 0V, though they
                  > weren't getting much on the input either. Turned out it was a cold
                  > solder joint on the bridge rectifier. Now I've got a nice 5V across the
                  > board, so the CRT and related circuits will be next to diagnose. Thank
                  > goodness the repair manual for the ADM-3 is available online.
                  >
                  > I'll have a picture album put together within the next few weeks as I
                  > complete more of it. It's cleaned up alright so far, but the main board
                  > is fairly corroded. Some ICs may need replacing, and I think I will
                  > likely need to spend some more time cleaning it. Isopropanol and
                  > methanol got a lot of the goop off, but I think soap and water might be
                  > required to get the rest off.

                  That's great, ADM-3As are very nice terminals! Definitely worth every
                  bit of effort, and fun work to do. (for the most part anyway!)

                  > More updates to come...going to VA and won't be back until next week.

                  Hey! If you'll be in the vicinity of western PA, stop by! Email me.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • David Comley
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 26, 2012
                    On Dec 25, 2012, at 11:01 PM, evan@... wrote:

                    Here's a fun discussion subject: what tech gadgets did everyone get for (name your winter celebration)?

                    This year's loot was good.

                    I got the rest of the parts for my SBC6120/FP6120 kit. I may try to assemble it over New Year. Still need to figure out the big mating connector that goes betwixt the boards.

                    Also got a ton of Meccano, mostly gears and brass parts, and a Kodak Rainbow Vest Pocket camera made in 1931.

                    -David

                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 26, 2012
                      I didn't get any tech toys, but did spend some time working on my 1984
                      vintage Morrow MD11. The commonly available master disk images are set up
                      for a Morrow terminal, and the setup utilities don't display correctly on
                      my terminal emulator (VT100). Through some arcane image file
                      manipulation, I got the INIT.COM and TERMINAL.DAT files copied onto the
                      first master disk, and configured it for a VT100. Amazingly, the hard
                      drive is still functional, and I loaded CP/M 3.0 along with several
                      applications.

                      The Micro Decision MD11 was one of a series of hard drive-equipped
                      systems of various sizes, including the MD5, MD16 and MD34. They all had
                      128KB RAM on a single main board with a 4MHz Z80A, and ran CP/M 3.0. The
                      bundled software included:

                      NewWord (word processor)
                      SuperCalc (spreadsheet)
                      MBASIC-80
                      Personal Pearl (database)
                      Quest (bookkeeper)
                      Correct-It (spell checker)
                      PILOT (menu/scripting language)
                      Backfield (backup/restore)

                      The MD11 is housed in an unfortunate beige box, but is still
                      interesting. Here's a picture of a complete system:

                      http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/morrow/photos/Morrow%20Micro%20Decision%20MD11%20another.jpg

                      I only have the CPU unit.

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Stephen L
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 26, 2012
                        As I stretched to go running on the morning of Dec. 20th, I caught sight of a large box on the porch, outside the window. OMG, the DEC RK05 hard drive had arrived. All 110-lbs of it! Having just restored a PDP-8/M, I decided to take the plunge and get a disk drive system for it, as a Christmas goodie.

                        There is much work to do before I can think about booting OS/8, though. Vacuumed it out and noticed that the foam seals will need to be replaced, along with other things. Have acquired two of the three cards of the RK8E disk controller set for the PDP8 but M7105 is still missing. Also have to build some replacements for the H851 top connector blocks which DEC used to make connections between boards in a set.

                        Need a disk cartridge (RK05K) for it. Those are hard-sectored, with different numbers of sectors for the PDP8 and PDP11. Have only found PDP11 type, so far. However, I have an idea for an RK05 mod, which will give it soft-sector capability and make it possible to use either type cartridge with it. Will be going ahead with that.

                        Ah, just love playing with new toys, after Christmas :)

                        Steve L.
                        http://www.tronola.com/
                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 26, 2012
                          > I treated myself to a completely non-functional ADM-3 terminal. It's a load

                          Very cool! I guess I was lucky, my terminal only had a dirty brightness pot. It also needs a screen glass job, but it's not so bad, so I'll hold off for now.

                          :)
                        • Kyle Owen
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 26, 2012
                            On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM, joshbensadon <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            > I treated myself to a completely non-functional ADM-3 terminal. It's a load

                            Very cool! I guess I was lucky, my terminal only had a dirty brightness pot. It also needs a screen glass job, but it's not so bad, so I'll hold off for now.

                            :)

                            Lucky indeed! The screen restoration is really easy. Stinky, but easy. I would recommend my method of hot glue to glue the glass plate onto the CRT, since you can get the original spacing correct such that reassembly doesn't leave a large gap between the case and the glass. That is, if you do have plans to get around to it at all.

                            Odd thing; I bought what was advertised as an ADM-3A, and when it arrived, it turns out it's just an old -3. I guess that means no cursor commands or lowercase for me. :(
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
                              On 12/26/2012 04:17 PM, Stephen L wrote:
                              > As I stretched to go running on the morning of Dec. 20th, I caught
                              > sight of a large box on the porch, outside the window. OMG, the DEC
                              > RK05 hard drive had arrived. All 110-lbs of it! Having just restored
                              > a PDP-8/M, I decided to take the plunge and get a disk drive system
                              > for it, as a Christmas goodie.
                              >
                              > There is much work to do before I can think about booting OS/8,
                              > though. Vacuumed it out and noticed that the foam seals will need to
                              > be replaced, along with other things. Have acquired two of the three
                              > cards of the RK8E disk controller set for the PDP8 but M7105 is still
                              > missing. Also have to build some replacements for the H851 top
                              > connector blocks which DEC used to make connections between boards in
                              > a set.
                              >
                              > Need a disk cartridge (RK05K) for it. Those are hard-sectored, with
                              > different numbers of sectors for the PDP8 and PDP11. Have only found
                              > PDP11 type, so far. However, I have an idea for an RK05 mod, which
                              > will give it soft-sector capability and make it possible to use
                              > either type cartridge with it. Will be going ahead with that.
                              >
                              > Ah, just love playing with new toys, after Christmas :)

                              This is great stuff. :-) One of my 8/e systems has an RK05 on it.
                              (well, two, but one needs a rebuild) RK05s are a very good match for OS/8.

                              I have a friend who may have some RK8E spares. I will ask him.

                              I like your idea of soft-sectorizing the RK05. That would be
                              fantastic, as the 16-sector packs are very hard to find. 12-sector (for
                              PDP-11s) are far more common.

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Stephen L
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
                                > This is great stuff. :-) One of my 8/e systems has an RK05 on it.
                                > (well, two, but one needs a rebuild) RK05s are a very good match for OS/8.

                                --- Thanks for the kind reply, Dave. My dream is to recreate the the PDP-8 system I used back in school, circa 1974. Would love to hear the good old "tink, tink" of disk access again, after 38-years. Back then, after struggling for weeks with the minimal paper-tape based PDP-8 system upstairs upstairs in the EE lab, I had discovered the maxed out PDP-8/RK05 etc., down in the controls lab. That "tink, tink" of programs loading instantly, was the sweetest thing I'd ever heard :)

                                > I have a friend who may have some RK8E spares. I will ask him.

                                --- Please let me know what he says. Will be happy to pay full market value for the M7105 board!

                                > I like your idea of soft-sectorizing the RK05. That would be
                                > fantastic, as the 16-sector packs are very hard to find. 12-sector (for PDP-11s) are far more common.

                                --- Thanks. Yes, I had been beating the bushes, trying to find packs for the PDP-8, without success. Then late yesterday, I spoke with some kind folks at Athana.com. Seems that they used to make them and still have 200, 16-sector cartridges in stock. They are "new," which is great. However, that means that they sell for $150 (singly), which is more than the refurb cartridges one sees on the market. Still, it's nice to find the 16-sector ones at all, let alone "new" ones.

                                So I snapped up a few of those, which has reduced the need for the soft-sectoring mod. I still might pursue that, though, since others have expressed interest. The mod isn't that big a deal, really. The idea is to work from the index pulse, which occurs once/revolution. A PLL multiplies that up 16X in frequency, to get the sector pulses, which would be substituted for the hard-detected ones. It should pretty much drop right in.
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012

                                  > --- Thanks. Yes, I had been beating the bushes, trying to find packs for
                                  the PDP-8, without success. Then late yesterday, I spoke with some kind
                                  folks at Athana.com. Seems that they used to make them and still have 200,
                                  16-sector cartridges in stock. They are "new," which is great. However,
                                  that means that they sell for $150 (singly), which is more than the refurb
                                  cartridges one sees on the market. Still, it's nice to find the 16-sector
                                  ones at all, let alone "new" ones.

                                  I agree it's worth it. Do you really want to risk your RK05s on unknown
                                  status disk packs?

                                  > So I snapped up a few of those, which has reduced the need for the
                                  soft-sectoring mod. I still might pursue that, though, since others have
                                  expressed interest. The mod isn't that big a deal, really. The idea is to
                                  work from the index pulse, which occurs once/revolution. A PLL multiplies
                                  that up 16X in frequency, to get the sector pulses, which would be
                                  substituted for the hard-detected ones. It should pretty much drop right
                                  in.

                                  Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and copies of
                                  the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be happy to make you a
                                  boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have the system set up and ready
                                  to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.

                                  BIll
                                • Stephen L
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
                                    Hi Bill,

                                    > Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and
                                    > copies of the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be
                                    > happy to make you a boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have
                                    > the system set up and ready to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.

                                    --- Awesome systems! Geez, I would really appreciate that. It would save a major hassle in trying to build OS/8 from paper tape images. Prior to that, having a known good disk to read would also facilitate drive/controller hardware debugging. I won't have an alignment cart, so this drive might not initially align with your tracks. However, I'm optimistic that I can work out a way to align to those tracks.

                                    Athana said that some of their staff is out for the holidays, so the disks won't ship until next week. There's a week transit from CA and perhaps a couple days to PA, so it might be Jan. 15th before I can get it to you.

                                    There's plenty of work to do here, refurbishing the RK05, making H851-type top connectors and such, not to mention finding an M7105. All good fun. Love playing with the toys :)

                                    Thanks, Steve

                                    PS: I'm still looking for a second RK05 drive, in case you hear of any available.
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012

                                      > Hi Bill,
                                      >
                                      > > Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and
                                      > > copies of the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be
                                      > > happy to make you a boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have
                                      > > the system set up and ready to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.

                                      Correction - I have 4 disk packs for my two RK05's. They're set up in
                                      tandem as drive 0 and 1.

                                      > --- Awesome systems! Geez, I would really appreciate that. It would save
                                      a major hassle in trying to build OS/8 from paper tape images. Prior to
                                      that, having a known good disk to read would also facilitate
                                      drive/controller hardware debugging. I won't have an alignment cart, so
                                      this drive might not initially align with your tracks. However, I'm
                                      optimistic that I can work out a way to align to those tracks.

                                      > Athana said that some of their staff is out for the holidays, so the
                                      disks won't ship until next week. There's a week transit from CA and
                                      perhaps a couple days to PA, so it might be Jan. 15th before I can get it
                                      to you.

                                      OK. I ordered a few too, why not.

                                      Bill
                                    • David Gesswein
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012
                                        On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:28:30AM -0000, Stephen L wrote:
                                        > Hi Bill,
                                        >
                                        > > Fortunately I have 4 RK05's for my 8e (two original packs, and
                                        > > copies of the two). I wish I had spares for you, but I would be
                                        > > happy to make you a boot disk if you send me your new pack. I have
                                        > > the system set up and ready to go, I am in Landenberg, PA.
                                        >
                                        > --- Awesome systems! Geez, I would really appreciate that. It would save
                                        > a major hassle in trying to build OS/8 from paper tape images. Prior to
                                        > that, having a known good disk to read would also
                                        > facilitate drive/controller hardware debugging. I won't have an
                                        > alignment cart, so this drive might not initially align with your tracks.
                                        > However, I'm optimistic that I can work out a way to align to those tracks.

                                        If you think the head alignment is off I'd start with a new pack and
                                        try formating in then running the standalone diagnostics. That way
                                        the alignment won't matter. Then try a pack with known good contents.
                                        The head alignment seems pretty stable so you should be ok as long as
                                        you didn't have to disassemble anything on the positioner. My drives
                                        exchanged packs fine and when I checked with my alignment pack they
                                        weren't that far off. Certain hardware faults can also prevent reading of a
                                        good pack but work fine on a self formatted pack. I had a counter fail
                                        that set one of the track header delays wrong that caused that symptom.

                                        If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
                                        when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
                                        around.

                                        FYI: I have software that will dump and restore pack contents to a
                                        PC.
                                        http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/software/dumprest/
                                        and images here
                                        http://www.pdp8online.com/images/index.shtml
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 27, 2012

                                          > If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
                                          > when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
                                          > around.

                                          Dave - Assuming my battery pack is long dead, if it's there at all, are
                                          they prone to leakage and cause damage - should I attend to this
                                          immediately?

                                          Bill
                                        • Stephen L
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 28, 2012
                                            Hi Dave,

                                            > If you think the head alignment is off I'd start with a new pack and
                                            > try formating in then running the standalone diagnostics. That way
                                            > the alignment won't matter. Then try a pack with known good contents.

                                            --- Sounds like a good plan. Of course, there is a lot of work to do to get to that point. Need to reform/checkout/fix the power supplies and deal with the decaying foam. The foam collar between the blower and the card cage is mostly gone. The prefilter and holder are gone...

                                            > The head alignment seems pretty stable so you should be ok as long as
                                            > you didn't have to disassemble anything on the positioner. My drives
                                            > exchanged packs fine and when I checked with my alignment pack they
                                            > weren't that far off.

                                            --- That's very encouraging :)

                                            > If you hadn't noticed the drive has a battery pack to retract the heads
                                            > when power is lost. It's normally bad if the drive has been sitting
                                            > around.

                                            --- Yeah, I've been giving that the hairy eyeball, trying to think of a better solution. Will probably just replace it, though.

                                            > FYI: I have software that will dump and restore pack contents to a PC.

                                            --- Thanks. That will be very useful for a backup, until I can acquire another RK05. Bill has kindly offered to write an OS/8 image on a disk pack, to get me started.

                                            Love your site, by the way. Awed by all you've done.

                                            Steve L.