So my SOL arrived yesterday... And it's like a 60's musclecar

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
      When I opened it up, it was full of cards and mods... This machine had some heavy upgrades in the early 80's (kinda makes Evan's IMSAI story about the WarGames computer being an "obsolete" setup that didn't really belong not as plausible, because seeing what someone did to this machine to make it fast and current, I could see a high school kid cobbling together a 6 year old Imsai chassis and sup'ping it up one component at a time as he had cash)

      Opening the package from UPS, I felt like a guy who got a 67 mustang fastback that has had a blower and widened finders and a roll cage who likes things stock. so.... Besides a case hack to allow you to open the case while it's still plugged in (which I think I will keep because 3 Sol guys I have spoken to already said they've seen it before it was common enough hack because "it's an annoying piece of metal" (I guess if my purist OCD kicks in, I can simply weld a small piece of metal in and repaint the area, hey I am a car guy)...

      It came with 2 personality modules (one pluged in and one not)...

      But here is the kicker, there are total of THREE Z80 cpus in this system (hows that for a multiprocessor system)...

      It has a Dutronics DZ80 80R CPU upgrade daughterboard where the 8080 should be... OK I'm torn... It's date correct and may have been common, like getting the mustang with a nicer freeflowing chrome air cleaner bought the week the guy picked up the car from ford... I think if it works, I may keep it, since the SOL not like a normal S100 system where you lose the entire original processor card to swap in a Z80. I'll just keep my eyes open for a date correct 8080 that I can grab cheap for the next owner of the system (I'm not planning on selling it, but as time goes by you never know)

      BTW: I Can't find the manual on-line for the Dz80, just some articles and one review that goes over the install connections, hopefully someone out there has one and can help...

      It also had a Simpliway VDB-A2 Video Card with it's own white ceramic 1977 Z80 CPU (not a Z80A). The keyboard was plugged into this setup... So I'm guessing this was done so the owner could have 80 column stuff... I think I need to research if this card has value, the CPU being white ceramic and a non A, may be worth more than the card.

      It has a Jade Double Floppy Disk Controller which also has a Z80 CPU. This one should be a keeper, while I'm not big on floppy drives, this card seems pretty cool, though it may just sit in a box or be used for a trade or something).

      and a Tanner Static 64k RAM card from 1981.... The only thing I can guess is from the limited information google provided you needed static ram for the Dutronics CPU upgrade to work right, so this setup worked at some point. I guess I'll keep the card until the system is up and running, then I'll look for a bunch of smaller 1977 dated memory cards. I don't really want more than 32k anyway...

      This I guess will be my spring project.... So many other projects to do first so I'll pack it up and put it away while I collect more information.

      Cheers,
      Corey
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
        >> This machine had some heavy upgrades in the early 80's (kinda makes Evan's IMSAI story about the WarGames computer being an "obsolete" setup that didn't really belong not as plausible, because seeing what someone did to this machine to make it fast and current, I could see a high school kid cobbling together a 6 year old Imsai chassis and sup'ping it up one component at a time as he had cash)

        Whoa. I do tell museum visitors that the WarGames IMSAI is somewhat anachronistic ('75 computer in '83 movie), but it's only to make the point about how much personal micros advanced in eight years. Your point is taken, though.

        >> Opening the package from UPS, I felt like a guy who got a 67 mustang fastback that has had a blower and widened finders and a roll cage who likes things stock.

        More power!
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
          Hey Evan, Merry Festivus!!!!
          You do know I'm only razzing you...

          Enjoy the day... I'm taking a brake from playing Zork now to go see the Hobbit.

          Cheers,
          Corey

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2012
            Sounds like the person is totally bypassing the original SOL-20
            motherboard.
            bd