Re: Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers - General- Navy Computer- linotype

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
      On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
      > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
      > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
      > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
      > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
      > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
      > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
      > publishing

      Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
      anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

      > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
      > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
      > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
      > troff.

      Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
      publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
      our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
      Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
      output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
      lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012