Re: Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
      On Dec 11, 2012, at 10:06 PM, LarryS wrote:

      > There's a 'working' Linotype machine in the Print Shop at the
      > Railroad Museum in Savannah, GA, just West of the historic
      > 'downtown' district, East of I-95. If you ever 'happen' to go
      > there, also check out the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum along I-95,
      > with a B-47 Jet Bomber on a pedestal out front (visible from I-95).
      > The Linotype keyboard was designed according to the letter
      > frequencies in the English language; hence, the home row of keys
      > reads, from left to right, as "ETAOIN SHRDLU" - same frequency
      > sequence in Edgar Allen Poe's story, "The Gold Bug" and the
      > development of the Dvorak Keyboatd arangement! (Also Ernest Vincent
      > Wright's 50,000-word light novel, entitled, "Gadsby" - written
      > entirely without the letter "E"!)
      >
      > Season's Greetings to all!
      >
      > Larry Schear

      Hi Larry:

      I did not know that about the Railroad Museum in Savannah. I have a
      second home down there, so I'll have to check that out! And +1 for
      the Mighty 8th AF Museum, which is a stone's throw from my favorite
      Cracker Barrel restaurant at I-95 exit 102. That B-47 is pretty cool.

      73 de Ray
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
        On 12/11/2012 10:20 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
        > I did not know that about the Railroad Museum in Savannah. I have a
        > second home down there, so I'll have to check that out! And +1 for
        > the Mighty 8th AF Museum, which is a stone's throw from my favorite
        > Cracker Barrel restaurant at I-95 exit 102. That B-47 is pretty cool.

        I ate at that very Cracker Barrel two weeks ago!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ