Re: Linotype, was Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Re: Analog Computers

  • Al Hartman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
      My father was a Linotype operator for the Pandick Press in Manhattan until
      they went out of business in 1990.

      He used to bring home slugs with our names on them for my sister and I all
      the time.

      Al
    • LarryS
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
        There's a 'working' Linotype machine in the Print Shop at the Railroad Museum in Savannah, GA, just West of the historic 'downtown' district, East of I-95. If you ever 'happen' to go there, also check out the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum along I-95, with a B-47 Jet Bomber on a pedestal out front (visible from I-95). The Linotype keyboard was designed according to the letter frequencies in the English language; hence, the home row of keys reads, from left to right, as "ETAOIN SHRDLU" - same frequency sequence in Edgar Allen Poe's story, "The Gold Bug" and the development of the Dvorak Keyboatd arangement! (Also Ernest Vincent Wright's 50,000-word light novel, entitled, "Gadsby" - written entirely without the letter "E"!)

        Season's Greetings to all!

        Larry Schear
      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
          On Dec 11, 2012, at 10:06 PM, LarryS wrote:

          > There's a 'working' Linotype machine in the Print Shop at the
          > Railroad Museum in Savannah, GA, just West of the historic
          > 'downtown' district, East of I-95. If you ever 'happen' to go
          > there, also check out the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum along I-95,
          > with a B-47 Jet Bomber on a pedestal out front (visible from I-95).
          > The Linotype keyboard was designed according to the letter
          > frequencies in the English language; hence, the home row of keys
          > reads, from left to right, as "ETAOIN SHRDLU" - same frequency
          > sequence in Edgar Allen Poe's story, "The Gold Bug" and the
          > development of the Dvorak Keyboatd arangement! (Also Ernest Vincent
          > Wright's 50,000-word light novel, entitled, "Gadsby" - written
          > entirely without the letter "E"!)
          >
          > Season's Greetings to all!
          >
          > Larry Schear

          Hi Larry:

          I did not know that about the Railroad Museum in Savannah. I have a
          second home down there, so I'll have to check that out! And +1 for
          the Mighty 8th AF Museum, which is a stone's throw from my favorite
          Cracker Barrel restaurant at I-95 exit 102. That B-47 is pretty cool.

          73 de Ray
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2012
            On 12/11/2012 10:20 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
            > I did not know that about the Railroad Museum in Savannah. I have a
            > second home down there, so I'll have to check that out! And +1 for
            > the Mighty 8th AF Museum, which is a stone's throw from my favorite
            > Cracker Barrel restaurant at I-95 exit 102. That B-47 is pretty cool.

            I ate at that very Cracker Barrel two weeks ago!

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ