Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Linotype

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 11, 2012
      On 12/11/2012 06:28 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > It's for sale on their website, well worth the $25. You can check
      > out the film trailer on Youtube. The actual film runs 76 minutes
      > with another 70 minutes of bonus features. It covers these machines
      > from many angles. With out this machine, there might not have even
      > been computers by this day and age. See the movie, they explain it
      > better.

      It is said that, before the development of the Linotype, that no daily
      newspaper was larger than eight pages.

      Historically speaking, this machine is a really big deal. It's
      nothing short of monumental in terms of its impact on societal development.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ