Re: OT: Linotype

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 11, 2012

      > > I think I worked with one once (or part of one). It handled the photos for the
      > > AP and we had to interface to it. 25v dc +/- centronics interface. I was told
      > > it dated to the late 1940. The thing stunk like vinegar only stronger.
      >
      > Linotypes don't deal with photos and have no electronics other than
      > that required to drive a single large AC motor and an operator's lamp.
      > They are textual typesetters, 100% mechanical, designed well over a
      > century ago. They use no chemicals other than lubricating oil.

      Don't forget the big metal pot, that ran on 240V.

      There where other companies that later copied and improved upon the Linotype. The ones I know are Intertype, Comet and Electron. There was one called the Electron II, it had a paper tape reader and would activate the (many) keys with solenoids. I personally have never seen this machine, but my dad said it was a sight to see. I guess it would be like one of those old "player piano's". I think this machine is from the early 70's.
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ