Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Linotype

    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 11, 2012
      On 12/11/2012 02:55 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >>> Two hours to reassemble? That's not long at all! I guess it
      >>> depends on how much was disassembled?
      >>
      >> Uhh, yeah. You got snookered. ;)
      >>

      > Umm, yeah. I had a good laugh about the 5 car trips, knew something
      > was wrong, perhaps Bill didn't know what a Linotype was?. Then I saw
      > on the last line of his post that he did put it into an 18 wheeler
      > truck. So I kind of guessed the machine might have been hoisted
      > complete and 2 hours was the time it took to plug it in and test it.
      > I didn't want to say anything to be polite, since I don't really know
      > Bill. Then I saw your post and knew it was a joke. I was hoping
      > nobody would notice.

      Oops. ;)

      > Thinking about it now, the metal pot takes 6 hours to come up to
      > operating temperature. My dad who knows these machines like the back
      > of his hand took the better part of 10 hours reassembling it. And
      > that's only because he knew where every part fit and did not
      > reassemble out of sequence. He might be a bit slow, but that might
      > be because he's just got 1 leg.

      Yep.

      > Yeah, bottom line is I fell for yet another joke on this forum.

      It's a tough crowd. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 38 of 38 , Dec 16, 2012
        On 12/15/2012 03:17 PM, Jeff Jonas wrote:
        > I took calligraphy with Don Kunz my final year at The Cooper Union,
        > so I considered typography an enemy or competition to the human touch
        > of calligraphy (but I had no time for any courses from the <a
        > href=http://lubalincenter.cooper.edu/>Lubalin typography center</a>).
        > Sadly, my handwriting & calligraphy has deteriorated over the years,
        > so I'm totally dependent on technology for word processing & web
        > publishing

        Calligraphy is cool. I was interested in it years ago but never went
        anywhere with it, but I still love to see it.

        > 2 of my AT&T co-workers were from Varityper, so they knew programming
        > AND typesetting/typography. It was common to hear them complaining of
        > the laser printer's awful fonts and ligature/kerning problems in
        > troff.

        Nice. ;) I worked at a company about 23 years ago that did a lot of
        publishing work for large-scale directories and stuff like that. We did
        our camera-ready output on a Varityper VT600. I loved that machine.
        Its fonts weren't THAT bad...If you want bad fonts and awful-looking
        output, look at the garbage generated by MS Word! I have bellybutton
        lint that knows more about typography than those developers.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ